Subwoofer positioning

turnstylez18
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Toronto
k this is my ugly setup with my sub and amps in my trunk

carsystem005.jpg

Here's the thing i dont know if there's a difference i movethe sub around...since the sub is facing and is so close to the rear of the trunk do u think i am reducing its loudness...if i changed positions of the sub like face it upwards or face it towards the front would it sound better...what do u guys think i should do? i cant test it out yet cuz my deck is in for repair..thanks

In sedans like that, generally facing rear towards the rear of the trunk will give best results.......just like you have it.

But go ahead and slide it around a little bit and see what you think.

well i cant put it further back cuz my i have two amps behind it...and its close to the rear of the trunk...so is this a problem
Speaker positioning should come before amp placement in your list of priorities. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

Usually facing the rear trunk will give you the loudest output, thanks to wave reinforcement. Usually for the best SQ you'd face it forward fired directly into the passenger compartment, sealed off from the trunk (gives the most direct sound, least reflected this way). But each vehicle and setup could react differently. Only way to know for sure is to try it yourself in your car.

Nice looking box. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

thanks...well i wanted to put amps at the rear so if sumone tries to take it its harder since the big sub box is in the way...its pretty heavy too...i wanted to mount it on back of the seats but theres nothing stable to mount it on...stupid corolla has sum plastic piece so its impossible to mount the amps on it...

u think its fine though with the sub close to the rear of the trunk..also...i had an old thread bout hole at the trunk..there are speakers in there..but im gonna take it out so its like the trunk is ported

u think its fine though with the sub close to the rear of the trunk..also...i had an old thread bout hole at the trunk..there are speakers in there..but im gonna take it out so its like the trunk is ported
I think if you are concerned with the positioning of the sub, you should try moving it around and see (even if it means dismounting the amps temporarily). if you dont want to move the amps, then Id say live with it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif I really couldn't guess how it will affect that system in that car. Removing the rear speakers to leave those holes will almost definitely help the bass response from the sub. If the seat folds down, that would help even more of course.

Speaker positioning should come before amp placement in your list of priorities. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif
Usually facing the rear trunk will give you the loudest output, thanks to wave reinforcement. Usually for the best SQ you'd face it forward fired directly into the passenger compartment, sealed off from the trunk (gives the most direct sound, least reflected this way). But each vehicle and setup could react differently. Only way to know for sure is to try it yourself in your car.

Nice looking box. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
so far from true...

its very difficult to get good extension firing in, a properly designed rear firing setup normally works BETTER.. but it takes alot to prep the trunk properly.

by your figuring, a wall is perfect for sq...

so far from true...
its very difficult to get good extension firing in, a properly designed rear firing setup normally works BETTER.. but it takes alot to prep the trunk properly.

by your figuring, a wall is perfect for sq...
You think you can only get good extension by utilizing wave reinforcement off the back wall? hmmm ok

"Walls" do what they do, seal off an un-used portion of the cabin. That's bad for SQ why? But no, most walls are built for a different purpose, so?

My comment on direct sound waves still stands, unless you disagree?

You think you can only get good extension by utilizing wave reinforcement off the back wall? hmmm ok
"Walls" do what they do, seal off an un-used portion of the cabin. That's bad for SQ why? But no, most walls are built for a different purpose, so?

My comment on direct sound waves still stands, unless you disagree?
the waves are no more "direct" than if used properly rear firing

and no, i disagree with facing the subs at you sounding better. We arent talking about tweeters here... we are talking about non-localized (hopefully in an SQ setup!!!) low frequency waves.

Walls cut cabin down and help you control things much better. Getting straight sound quality out of them is *very* difficult because a wall will almost always be very peaky in response... not by "design" specifically, but because of the tiny cabin.. part of the reason they are loud.

SQ can be had out of any sub setup with enough EQ/xover work... but saying any one way is inherently better just isn't true, especially to the typical person.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.