Subwoofer not playing right

Thank you for all the feedback. Although I would love to someday build a custom system, for this truck I think I want to keep it simple, “plug and play” if you will. Do you think getting the same style box but with 8 inch cutouts and 8 inch subs would hold up better? I am only looking for heavy punch and relatively clean sound if that’s possible. I know it’s hard with the limited space I have and not wanting to remove seats to do a custom box.

If you have any other semi easy ideas I’m all ears. And I’m willing to sell my equipment if I have to. I also just remembered that I do have a single 12 shallow mount sub box for a truck that’s sealed. It’s probably got more space, I’ll take a look when i get home from work. Totally forgot about it.
Just find subs that work in the airspace. That’s all you gotta do, sub diameter doesn’t matter, required airspace matters.

Last edited:
the Ram crewcab enclosures I looked up are ~.5 cuft per side. Looks to me like there is barely enough room for the basket and motor. That enclosure just screams 10" subs to me.
This is the box my nephew got.
Capture+_2023-02-15-20-06-57.png

This is one he was going to get but we were unsure of fitment.
Screenshot_20231020-090220.png
Screenshot_20231020-090323.png

In 30+ years of trying poly-fill and a ton of other products in sealed boxes. Not once did I ever hear a difference in the sound, clarity or anything one bit. Overrated imho.

In 30+ years of trying poly-fill and a ton of other products in sealed boxes. Not once did I ever hear a difference in the sound, clarity or anything one bit. Overrated imho.
When I opened my first Bazooka tube and saw insulation (it looked like insulation), I assumed that was the secret to the awesome bass response. Being me, I got fiberglass insulation and stuffed it in with the ported Punch 12s on my backseat. The difference was very noticable. My friends thought I had gotten bigger subs. Bass was deeper and I will describe it as less echoey. I had not noticed that until after the stuffing.

This is the box my nephew got.
View attachment 54102
This is one he was going to get but we were unsure of fitment.
View attachment 54103View attachment 54104
His enclosure looks a lot more like the SuperCrewSound enclosure. That said, I'd say getting this enclosure would be a better option than replacing the subs. That said, I'm pretty sure his bass isn't dropping out due to the enclosure, so he needs to hunt down the true source of his problem before taking any other steps.

When I opened my first Bazooka tube and saw insulation (it looked like insulation), I assumed that was the secret to the awesome bass response. Being me, I got fiberglass insulation and stuffed it in with the ported Punch 12s on my backseat. The difference was very noticable. My friends thought I had gotten bigger subs. Bass was deeper and I will describe it as less echoey. I had not noticed that until after the stuffing.
Agreed. The effects of stuffing have been well documented by many an AE.

Thank you for all the feedback. Although I would love to someday build a custom system, for this truck I think I want to keep it simple, “plug and play” if you will. Do you think getting the same style box but with 8 inch cutouts and 8 inch subs would hold up better? I am only looking for heavy punch and relatively clean sound if that’s possible. I know it’s hard with the limited space I have and not wanting to remove seats to do a custom box.

If you have any other semi easy ideas I’m all ears. And I’m willing to sell my equipment if I have to. I also just remembered that I do have a single 12 shallow mount sub box for a truck that’s sealed. It’s probably got more space, I’ll take a look when i get home from work. Totally forgot about it.
I don't think you problem is with the enclosure. In all the decades I've been in the industry as a professional and a hobbyist, I don't recall a bass drop out like that caused by the enclosure. I'd suspect a bad amp, poor wiring, a VC on it's way out, etc.

Not my experience at all. I've personally found that stuffing the cavity with a pound of Acusta Stuff or long hair wool per cubic foot of airspace returns substantial sound dividends on several dual sub-driver enclosures. I for one will likely not ever build another sealed enclosure without fill. On that note, while some have also seen benefits in ported enclosures, I never use loose fill in a vented cabinet, just dense long-haired wool or compressed recycled shredded denim lining a third of the interior walls and never the to the rear of the port.

Last edited:
I don't think you problem is with the enclosure. In all the decades I've been in the industry as a professional and a hobbyist, I don't recall a bass drop out like that caused by the enclosure. I'd suspect a bad amp, poor wiring, a VC on it's way out, etc.
While I don't entirely disagree, with the interior volume being off by 50%, says otherwise to me. Could be a combination of several factors. Especially when I think that JL is a little overreaching with their smallish recommendation on those 12's

don't think you problem is with the enclosure
Agree 50%. The enlosure may be too small but maybe also leaking and maybe have a loose panel or two. The output is just too bad to just be attributed to incorrect volume. I thought that polarity as well, but I doubt there would have been bass at low volume. Maybe the subs in ported enclosure sound fine but once the backpressure of a sealed enlcosure pushes on their backside, air forces through a gap in the dustcap.

Agree 50%. The enlosure may be too small but maybe also leaking and maybe have a loose panel or two. The output is just too bad to just be attributed to incorrect volume. I thought that polarity as well, but I doubt there would have been bass at low volume. Maybe the subs in ported enclosure sound fine but once the backpressure of a sealed enlcosure pushes on their backside, air forces through a gap in the dustcap.
The issue he's having is the subs get loud then the bass drops out if he cranks the volume past a certain point; that doesn't sound like a leaky enclosure.

While I don't entirely disagree, with the interior volume being off by 50%, says otherwise to me. Could be a combination of several factors. Especially when I think that JL is a little overreaching with their smallish recommendation on those 12's
We know how enclosures affect subs and it's especially predictable with sealed enclosures. Just because there is an obvious mismatch between the enclosure and subs doesn't mean that's the cause. I'd suspect cold solder joint at the terminal, bad wiring, a VC on it's way out, maybe an issue with the amp.

We know how enclosures affect subs and it's especially predictable with sealed enclosures. Just because there is an obvious mismatch between the enclosure and subs doesn't mean that's the cause. I'd suspect cold solder joint at the terminal, bad wiring, a VC on it's way out, maybe an issue with the amp.
It very well could be that one of the subs Vc are about to fail. I was thinking that maybe he has wired both subs incorrectly for the Final Ohm load to begin with and running them will deff have an effect of failure eventually. Running one single sub in the Ported enclosure and working fine, and yet not checking the other? SVC4 ohm subs. They both could be wired incorrectly in the sealed enclosure.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...