Need Advice

girlydd

CarAudio.com Newbie
Just purchased a new Jeep and I have never had aftermarket equipment and so I contacted a shop and I am just looking for opinions on the equipment he suggested

For the head units
Pioneer DMH2660NEX
Alpine ILX-W650
SonyXAV-AX4000
Or the
Pioneer DMH-w4660

And for the speakers
Addison or Rockford

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I'll add this: You're in Toronto, and you bought a Jeep. Seems like two likely reasons you might wear gloves more than average. All of those are full touch screen. Touch screen looks better, but it's harder to use by touch, (keeping your eyes on the road), and near impossible to use if you wear gloves while driving.

I use and recommend Kenwood Excelon brands. If you plan on adding an amp, this line, they all have (3) 5v preouts. Easy to use, have all the functions you would expect, and it's pretty easy to see the differences between the line:

If you haven't bought any of this yet, you should plan the entire system out. You're either going to want amps so it's better to have a higher preout voltage on the head unit, or you don't care for loud music, and low head unit power is good enough for you, then you want a head unit with 50w RMS x 4, and speakers that are about 50w RMS.

Last edited:
I would use an Alpine deck with Alpine powerpack amplifier on Alpine speakers. If you cannot get Alpine speakers, I would take RF over Addison. That is just based on the brands you listed, because I haven't used any of those specific models. Rockford Fosgate is the best of the best, but it is priced appropriately.

I'd avoid pioneer head units personally...alpine or kenwood would be my choice
I like Kenwood Excell. 4&5v with (3)Rca out jacks for future upgrades. Ive had Excellent results with Kenwoods and JVC and Alpines if Im not using one of my Eclipse 5or 8v HUs. JVC is made by Kenwood as well.. Basicly the exact same units. sony is coming around with some of theyre units coming with a 3 yr warranty from selective units.
i would sit down as stated and plan out your system you want to install. Id recommend an amplifier on every speaker or component set(even if its 50-100watts rms per ch) and sub(If you want a sub,or subs).
Speakers... CDT Audio usually has a great monthly sale on theyre components and speakers. I would Bypass the Cl line up. I recommend the HD series and ES series for the $. Polk MM series,DB series, Infinity Kappa series are some other speakers to have a look at for the$. lay out your system and set a budget for it, and come back and ask about what you have chosen, see what also has worked well and what others have great experiences with. The Christmas holidays are coming up, and is one of the best times to catch sales on the majority of Audio sites if you can wait a couple months,and gives you time to figure out what you would like to put in the vehicle.
Depending on what JEEP you have, will also determine just how much road noise you are dealing with verses maybe an SUV type vehicle with a more sealed off cabin space?

Not laying out your system, and buying on impulses can usually cost you more funds if the items chosen do not meet your expectations and dig deeper in the pocket for the future needs/wants. Such as an HU/radio that has One set of 2.5 RCAs out rather than 2/ or 3 that may be needed for the upgrades later on. you can start slowly by doing the HU and a set of Components up front and an amplifier for them, and maybe even a 4ch for the rear speakers for the passengers speakers to add later. Add a substage later, but have the wiring in place to run ONCE rather than not having the right sized supply wiring for a multiple amp system. Things like that

Any car audio shop will push what they are selling or what they have in stock or old gear thats been sitting on the shelves for a while usually more so than not, and mark things up from 40-60% on up to make a profit along with installation cost

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...