Subwoofer issue

LoneWolfie

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi, i have a pioneer Premier 12" on a Rockford Fosgate Prime 500w. Ive had voltage drop issues for about 1-2 months, 2nd battery warranty, and a 145amp alt with 4g charge cable. Ive noticed recently that the amp will go into protect when under load on acceleration. After checking the amp, fuses and wiring, I grabbed my spare Premier 12" (have 2, only using one) and it won't go into protect under same conditions, nor is the voltage drop near as bad. Anyone know whats wrong? Exact same subwoofers. Amp will also jump in and out of protect when it does go into protect.

Wiring is 0g power/ground, 12g speaker wire if it matters. Sub is wired to 2ohm

What are the voice coils on each sub? It sounds like it might be a problem with the wiring of each sub. The complete sub model numbers would help in getting your question answered. Also, is one sub louder than the other?

Bump, anybody?
Only thing I can think of new sub not causing protect mode is that it has not been broken in yet. Other sub is well broken in so it moves more, causing higher inductance. Amp should be able to handle feedback, so I would check the ground. Make sure it is sanded to bare metal and well crimped. Same on the fuse connections.

To add to @1aespinoza , I would also check each voice coil individually of the sub that's sending the amplifier into protection with a multimeter. Sometimes, if a voice coil is burnt out, it can send weird impedances to the amplifier

Only thing I can think of new sub not causing protect mode is that it has not been broken in yet. Other sub is well broken in so it moves more, causing higher inductance. Amp should be able to handle feedback, so I would check the ground. Make sure it is sanded to bare metal and well crimped. Same on the fuse connections.

Agreed. Also check the impedance per coil per sub

I’ve personally experienced this. 1 d2 sub, 1 coil measured 2ohm and the other measured some crazy 3.24 or something. Guy blamed my cheap meter, then the same results after me purchasing a $200 fluke. Must check them together, then get that number individually

To add to @1aespinoza , I would also check each voice coil individually of the sub that's sending the amplifier into protection with a multimeter. Sometimes, if a voice coil is burnt out, it can send weird impedances to the amplifier
Either this or you had a hairy wire touching somewhere or something goofy. Maybe you unintentionally fixed a different problem when you swapped out the sub and rewired it.
Protect mode and volt drop sound like you were running the amp under its lowest safe ohm load.

Okay. New info. Could the alternator be overcharging? I took the battery to autozone to charge it but it was at 13v, so i took it home, put it in, dash gauge read normal, so i ran the system (actually ran at full volume with the punch knob pretty high) back to autozone and went WOT at one point (to which of course it cut) and when i parked, I shut it off and turned it to acc and the gauge was just under 14v.

The other sub might of not been setting the amp off because it was done in a driveway, didnt drive just revved it high, but never went higher then 3k (would cut out there with my sub)

Okay. New info. Could the alternator be overcharging? I took the battery to autozone to charge it but it was at 13v, so i took it home, put it in, dash gauge read normal, so i ran the system (actually ran at full volume with the punch knob pretty high) back to autozone and went WOT at one point (to which of course it cut) and when i parked, I shut it off and turned it to acc and the gauge was just under 14v.

The other sub might of not been setting the amp off because it was done in a driveway, didnt drive just revved it high, but never went higher then 3k (would cut out there with my sub)
Get a volt meter to test voltage coming directly from alt with vehicle running. Have someone Rev it up while you do this.

Just to add to the pot, other users said F150s will turn off the compressor while under heavy acceleration to reduce drag on the engine. Now, I wonder if the alternator is another accessory that reduces output for the same purpose. If other makes use this same tactic, then yours may be the same.
Could the alternator be overcharging?
Amps have an operating range of 9-12v.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...