Subwoofer Getting Smelly After about 10 mins of playing

easiest thing to do right now is lower gain and maybe keep hu at 35 until u get another box, big 3 and a 2nd battery
The only correct answer so far in this thread and it's not even April Fool's Day.

Yes, the box is probably too small but the real issue is that he needs to either back off when things get smelly or buy a sub that uses a larger coil to hold the heat.

[uPDATE]

I re-tuned the amp today with a -5db track I can definitely play on the sub a lot longer and it barely smells now after playing for awhile. So I've come to the conclusion its just the 1.6cuft box not allowing enough air flow to cool the voice coils? It's kind of my fault that I got impulsive when my amp came and didn't wanna wait for the box design. The new box I'm getting most definitely will take care of this issue. 1.6cuft is way to small for the sub. I also am upgrading to the big 3 whenever my wire shows up so that should help too.

[uPDATE]I re-tuned the amp today with a -5db track I can definitely play on the sub a lot longer and it barely smells now after playing for awhile. So I've come to the conclusion its just the 1.6cuft box not allowing enough air flow to cool the voice coils? It's kind of my fault that I got impulsive when my amp came and didn't wanna wait for the box design. The new box I'm getting most definitely will take care of this issue. 1.6cuft is way to small for the sub. I also am upgrading to the big 3 whenever my wire shows up so that should help too.
how big is port on the 1.6? that must be larger too for larger box and for power u have, close to or right at 16 sq in per cf

[uPDATE]I re-tuned the amp today with a -5db track I can definitely play on the sub a lot longer and it barely smells now after playing for awhile. So I've come to the conclusion its just the 1.6cuft box not allowing enough air flow to cool the voice coils? It's kind of my fault that I got impulsive when my amp came and didn't wanna wait for the box design. The new box I'm getting most definitely will take care of this issue. 1.6cuft is way to small for the sub. I also am upgrading to the big 3 whenever my wire shows up so that should help too.
Yes.. Yes.. and Yes. Very good. That sub needs some room to breathe and stay running cool.Just think of yourself waking up on a couch with your face crammed in the corner of the couch are trying to get a nice breathe of air??With your own breathe you can feel the heat??Correct?Thats what generally wakes you up.. that heat, turn to the other side with room, and you breathe better and are cooler not being confined to a corner .Not enough maintained voltage will destroy an amplifier and possibly the sub/or subs as well .Take it easy until you get your voltage maintained properly and the correct box for the sub..Learn to be patient or start digging into the bottom of your pockets .

Yeah I'm gonna be buying a XS POWER XP3000 in about 2 weeks. Do you think the XP3000 combined with the big 3 and the stock starting battery under the hood would be sufficient electrical? Unfortunately I have found no company that makes a H/O alt for my car yet since its so new. I've reached out to mech man, DC Power, Iraggi etc... with no luck finding anybody that makes them. I'm planning on upgrading to a Orion HCCA 12" so I'm trying to make sure my electrical will be able to handle that sub down the road.

---------- Post added at 03:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 AM ----------

Yes.. Yes.. and Yes. Very good. That sub needs some room to breathe and stay running cool.Just think of yourself waking up on a couch with your face crammed in the corner of the couch are trying to get a nice breathe of air??With your own breathe you can feel the heat??Correct?Thats what generally wakes you up.. that heat, turn to the other side with room, and you breathe better and are cooler not being confined to a corner .Not enough maintained voltage will destroy an amplifier and possibly the sub/or subs as well .Take it easy until you get your voltage maintained properly and the correct box for the sub..Learn to be patient or start digging into the bottom of your pockets .
Yeah I'm gonna be buying a XS POWER XP3000 in about 2 weeks. Do you think the XP3000 combined with the big 3 and the stock starting battery under the hood would be sufficient electrical? Unfortunately I have found no company that makes a H/O alt for my car yet since its so new. I've reached out to mech man, DC Power, Iraggi etc... with no luck finding anybody that makes them. I'm planning on upgrading to a Orion HCCA 12" so I'm trying to make sure my electrical will be able to handle that sub down the road.

---------- Post added at 03:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 AM ----------

Skimming back through this thread.. I dont believe you have stated what make /year model of the vehicle.Or what size you alternator is/Amperage, or what size battery you currently have= CCA, CA, RES.

Skimming back through this thread.. I dont believe you have stated what make /year model of the vehicle.Or what size you alternator is/Amperage, or what size battery you currently have= CCA, CA, RES.
The car is a 2017 Hyuandi Tucson I think the stock alt is 90-100amps the battery under the hood is what came from factory I think its 600-700cca and 850ca

The car is a 2017 Hyuandi Tucson I think the stock alt is 90-100amps the battery under the hood is what came from factory I think its 600-700cca and 850ca
U need agm starting batt, u can get at advance about $150 (for my car it was $136) after online discount and they install it. big 3 and 2nd batt for amp

Noooo....Costco Interstate battery. Got one for my Tahoe not long ago and was 80 bucks. Much cheaper than those crappy auto parts store batteries.

In my older 98 Honda CRV,I ran 2 Orileys Super Start AGM batteries in it with the Big 3 of 2ga and 2 ga supply and did just fine on a 90 amp stock alt with a Mmats D300HC @2ohm mono on a pair of HDS 310s in 4.0 @32 htz od approx. 1750 rms and it was pretty impressive,and an old Crossfire TEK 100.2 @ 2ohm stereo,. I did the ELD By-pass that majority of Hondas have, and I never saw below 12.6v at full tilt with my roof rippling like a water wave.I usede the same battery up front as I do in the rear. I dont mix and match batteries

I ran two of these

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/platinum-5003/battery-accessories-16452/battery---automotive-16864/battery-12836/aa237490c00e/super-start-platinum-t040-t041-battery/3478plt/4742695/1998/chevrolet/c1500-pickup-rwd?q=agm+battery

I took the airbox out and put a short cold air intake on and put a full sized battery under the hood and ran supply wire back to second battery to rear tire well and grounded to rear axle frame. Use a solid distro block for grounding everything ,and a fused distro block for the supply to amps and fan..300 Amp ANL fuse at the battery under the hood. never had an issue with supply

Noooo....Costco Interstate battery. Got one for my Tahoe not long ago and was 80 bucks. Much cheaper than those crappy auto parts store batteries.
Ill deff check those out once my warranties run out.

Ill deff check those out once my warranties run out.
Ya do it! Those auto parts stores batteries have gone up in price....it's ridiculous. Costco has a huge variety of Interstate batteries to choose from, all new and with warranty. They range from 100-280 here. Just the names on them are a big turn off, Duralast, Super start economy, etc...

Id run 0 ga for that amp as well as do the Big 3 with 0 ga. 300 ANL fuse be just fine on that.Try two batteries for a bit and see how your voltage is at tilt/as loud and clean as you are going to play tuned properly.If you drop below 12-11.9v, you can add one more battery to help..But, we all know..Thats like a band aide. Best have a HO and good agm batteries and good supply wiring to maintain good voltage without massive strain.. They work but last so long.Batteries may last a good two-3 years..Stock alt possibly the same or less, depending on the stress. Takes Power to make Power.You will know your systems limitations when playing..its about the same as your own nourishment for your body

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.