Out the scene for years. Sub recco to replace 12w6v2?

johnwohl
10+ year member

Currently:

-2013 Infiniti G37x

-1x JL audio 12w6v2 dual 4 ohm

-2.25ft box ported at 28hz

-using about 600-700 watts clean power from good old orion not breaking a sweat. I don't know the exact power it's using but I set the gains no where near distortion from sub or amp)

-140 amp stock alt, AGM bat, big 3 and power to amp 4ga ofc.

sounds great, not peaky, and really grabs the lows but I would like more SPL and I'll be honest my equipment is really old and I kind of just want new stuff.

I was gifted an audiopipe APCL 1500.1 so I'll be using that. On to the requirements.

Number of subs preferred: 1 or 2

Size preferred (if configuration allows): 12 inch

Budget: $100-500. somewhere in the middle preferable unless there is something to blow my mind compared to cheaper subs. I'm not about spending several hundred more for a few DBz.

Power to be used (which amp(s), include which resistance): APCL 1500.1 @ 1 ohm.

Space available (take measurements, do not guess): 2.25ft, aero ported so I can change port length no prob.

Goals: Good SQ (tbh the 12w6 is pretty ridiculous), much Higher SPL if possible, will be ported low for flatter response and low range extension.

Listening habits: Hip Hop (new stuff, kendrick, sad rap, horrorcore etc.), Deathcore and other metal, Rap (mainstream radio stuff), R&B, electronic, jazz, classical. I typically run with the sub just above the normal level of the music (a little extra bass and sinus pressure), no dimming lights, but when my gf is in the car she likes it cranked and the car falling apart. Not gonna lie, I like it too, but I feel like a tool driving around like that.

Preferred brands/subs/whatever: No brand preference. I have no idea what's even decent anymore.

Thanks in advance!

There is a huge difference between a $100 sub and a $500 sub //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

That being said a DD3512 would be a good starting point. It has a low fs and an aluminum shorting ring which helps lower distortion. It will sound good and get louder than the w6.

I dunno, I keep seeing awesome reviews for sub $200 subwoofers and sub $200 amps making thier rated power and then some, so I thought maybe the price/performance gap had closed a bit. For example, what kind of performance difference are we talking between an new NVX 12" and the aforementioned DD sub everything else being equal? If the NVX sub is $130 and good, but the DD 3512 is $400 and going to crush my skull in comparison, by all means I'll take the DD. However if the same comparison is made and the DD is better but not $300 better, than I'll go for something cheaper, know what I'm saying? I bought the JL 12w6v2 new, and it was NOT cheap, at least for me, but it was a very good sql sub at the time, and same for my amp. If there would have been something cheaper that performed nearly as well that I had been aware of, I probably would have gone for it. Aware of being the key as the shops around here only stocked the mainstream brands (alpine, rockford, jl, ID, etc).

Also, do I even have enough power for the DD? Ive only got 1300 watts at 14v @ 1 ohm and only a 140amp alternator.

You won't find anything better than what you have for a couple hundred bucks. Let's be realistic. Unless there's a massive power change, one sub to another is not going to crush your skull.

That said, ported boxes "shift" the output to desired frequency. If your not ported, maybe look into it.

I'm maybe running 600-700 right now, the audiopipe apcl 1500d is around 1500 at 1% distortion, so maybe 2x power? Don't think that would make much of a difference? I'm running the 12w6v2 pretty close to its limit right now at well under the limit of the amp but I don't think the sub can take much more. I'm in a 2.25 cu ft. enclosure ported at 28hz.

I'm maybe running 600-700 right now, the audiopipe apcl 1500d is around 1500 at 1% distortion, so maybe 2x power? Don't think that would make much of a difference? I'm running the 12w6v2 pretty close to its limit right now at well under the limit of the amp but I don't think the sub can take much more. I'm in a 2.25 cu ft. enclosure ported at 28hz.
several subs will be louder on that (1300rms) power in same box u have: soundqubed hds3.1 $146, american bass xfl $178, fu audio 750 $170, heck even the new rockville wk9 $109 and probably 10 more but idk if they sound quite as good (the fu and ab may be close tuned that low)..

opinions on the following paired with the apcl 1500.1? I can change the box size but prefer a low tuning. DC audio level 3, sundown sa-12 or x-12, dayton audio HO 12, audiofrog GS12, IDMAX or IDQ. These are just some I found used in the 200-300 dollar range. I don't care if the subs are new. I also need to be able to find and buy them. I can't seem to find prices and places to buy the DD and some of the other brands mentioned new.

I dunno, I keep seeing awesome reviews for sub $200 subwoofers and sub $200 amps making thier rated power and then some, so I thought maybe the price/performance gap had closed a bit. For example, what kind of performance difference are we talking between an new NVX 12" and the aforementioned DD sub everything else being equal? If the NVX sub is $130 and good, but the DD 3512 is $400 and going to crush my skull in comparison, by all means I'll take the DD. However if the same comparison is made and the DD is better but not $300 better, than I'll go for something cheaper, know what I'm saying? I bought the JL 12w6v2 new, and it was NOT cheap, at least for me, but it was a very good sql sub at the time, and same for my amp. If there would have been something cheaper that performed nearly as well that I had been aware of, I probably would have gone for it. Aware of being the key as the shops around here only stocked the mainstream brands (alpine, rockford, jl, ID, etc).
Also, do I even have enough power for the DD? Ive only got 1300 watts at 14v @ 1 ohm and only a 140amp alternator.

The DD would crush anything NVX makes in all aspects. An IA Flatlyne or FI Q would have good sq like the w6 but would get pretty loud. You get what you pay for.

opinions on the following paired with the apcl 1500.1? I can change the box size but prefer a low tuning. DC audio level 3, sundown sa-12 or x-12, dayton audio HO 12, audiofrog GS12, IDMAX or IDQ. These are just some I found used in the 200-300 dollar range. I don't care if the subs are new. I also need to be able to find and buy them. I can't seem to find prices and places to buy the DD and some of the other brands mentioned new.
most peeps like the sa (good overall), the x does do lows well, idmax is a good sub probably best sq, dayton be good too (idk how loud though)

This is very hypocritical of me of all people to say but...if it ain’t broke don’t fix it ya digg!?
Well he did mention that he wants more SPL. Lets help him get there.

A single x12 on some good power, like 2500 if you can manage, will get you your desired low bass...and then some.

Well he did mention that he wants more SPL. Lets help him get there.
A single x12 on some good power, like 2500 if you can manage, will get you your desired low bass...and then some.
don't u have 2 x 15's on 1700rms total?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.