subwoofer box placement

noob with an RS
10+ year member

i poop on you
earth
hey i have a 12" idMAX in a 2.0 cubed ported enclosure tuned to 32 hz.. its firing toward the rear of my car and sits an inch or two away from the rear seats (in the trunk). i was wondering if it should be louder or sound better if i place it closer to the trunk.. maybe as close as it can go without having the cone touch the bacc of the car? im not a whiz with sound waves and acoustics and such.. so can anyone tell me? i really dont want to move the box its heavy and on top of that the carpet it is sitting on will pull if i drag and itll be a pain in the ass.. just wondering if there is a simple law of physics that i dont know about with placing the sub closer to the rear of the car being louder?

I do know that when you move the box it will slightly change the sound and sometimes it will make a huge difference ie: firing forward vs backwards. All I can suggest is to try it and see what happens.....how hard could it be to move that box? c'mon

I would leave it fireing to the rear and have equal space on each side of the box and the same or close to for the back of the box. that way there is plenty of room for the soudwaves to travel around the box and into your cabin area.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/toast.gif.bc0657bf54b9ee653b6438524461341e.gif

I read an article either on here or some other audio site that experimented with placement of the sub. The conclusions was that if the sub is placed against the rear of the trunk (next to the tail lights) and facing forward (toward the front seats) it will sound better (ie: louder more thump). I had a premade 1.0 cu^3 ft sealed enclosure with cheap 10" sub in and when I moved it to the rear of the trunk it made a big difference.

I am reading alot on this and came across this thread.. even though dead.. I moved my box back closer to the back seat in my trunk, still facing towards the trunk lid and I lost ALOT!!!!!!!! of bass... my low end what i consider "rumble" on the lower freq. did not change but the punchy bass changed alot.. so closer to the rear will cause a greater spring effect and less cancellation.. but if you get too close you loose you low end because there is just not enough air to move.. i

ROFL.. actually I checked the box and I actually did move it but forgot i put it back.. but for some odd reason i took the panel from the bottom of the rear deck to allow more air to move more freely into the car.. and I took the padding off and put in behind teh panel on the inside of my trunk lid.. well just as the crap does in a box it did to the entire trunk..

With a 1/4 inch think pad of the poly fill like crap... the puchy bass was completely gone.. but once i removed it... the punchy bass was back full force.. amazing what alittle bit of material will do to sound..

FAIL @ me

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

noob with an RS

10+ year member
i poop on you
noob with an RS
earth
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date