substage recommendation moving from midsize suv to large suv

Participant count
  • Participant list

BCotrell

Senior VIP Member
irvine, ca
So i currently have two 10's (ab tnt 1044's) that i purchased for my 99 4Runner. I got rid of the 4Runner and upsized to a 2003 land cruiser. For those not familiar with these they have the split rear hatch where the widow hatch comes up and then the remaining half gate folds down. Anyways, My plan is to have about 2000-2200 watts for the substage, subs firing up(not too much more power if not equal to what i was sending my 10's in the 4Runner. However, the landcruiser is quite a bit bigger and I'm trying to equal if not increase the sound respective to the vehicle size.

Thoughts on the following options:

1. Keep the existing woofers and consider enclosure options...T-line, although it may be tough for those woofers

2. Move up to larger diameter woofers with similar power handling requirements (12" AB tnt's were on my radar)

3. Move up to higher power woofers of the same size (10" XFL's ask for 1000 watts rms)

4. Go large diameter and high power woofers (12" xfl's)

I'm pretty set on the AB brand simply because the value is good. I'm just moving into a bigger vehicle and don't want to be disappointed. My little 4Runner pounded clean for what little investment i had into it.

thanks for the insights

I listen to a lot of bass heavy rap but i also listen to a lot of other kinds of music so i feel 15's and 18's may not be musically optimal for the range of music types i listen to. Thoughts or am i stuck in an old way of thinking? I could run three 10 inch tnt's on a 1 ohm stable amp at 1.3 ohms...Could give me the little more i am looking for but the total ohm load will reduce total wattage output of any given amp and now I'm distributing it across three subs. Hmmmm...

[quote name='BCotrell']I listen to a lot of bass heavy rap but i also listen to a lot of other kinds of music so i feel 15's and 18's may not be musically optimal for the range of music types i listen to. Thoughts or am i stuck in an old way of thinking? I could run three 10 inch tnt's on a 1 ohm stable amp at 1.3 ohms...Could give me the little more i am looking for but the total ohm load will reduce total wattage output of any given amp and now I'm distributing it across three subs. Hmmmm...[/QUOTE]

if you think sub size has anything to do with musicality or sound quality, you are dead wrong buddy. That misinformed myth has been proven wrong time and time again and its still being spread.

@CSCStang is near you, you should demo his two 15s and play whatever song you want from your music library. Will sound better than any 10s you come across, can play deep lows and can play punchy double bass pedal accurately. Its all in the box.

Word! I like being wrong, then homies like you guys correct my logic and I'm on a better path. I'd be totally content with 2 15" tnts if they can be respponsiive to high pace alternative And some screemo. Trust me I'm jonesing to hear his 15's. I've already bought my ticket for the show

I can vouch on the 15s an biggest sizes being able to play more then just rap/decaf etc I play metal half the time in my setup an past an it's more in the box then the size of the woofer.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.