ported / sealed not the same ole question

ineedmygti

ok so i have two massive audio dc12 woofers running more than enough power. So hear is the deal. I have run these speakers in my last car for about 4 years and absolutely loved them in that car audi s4 had them in the trunk (obviously). Also in a nice store bought box that is vented and poly fill. I just got a new car and put it all in the new car (gti) hatchback and ewwwww just ewww they are muddy and sound like sh*t very muddy and distorted................ So i think to myself you know what i never use all the bass i have so im going to go with one woofer will now be at 2 ohm and like 1000 watts so still more than enough power. Now here is the question the manufacturer recommends 2.2 cf vented box. But, i really think im going to prefer sealed.. So am i right? do i now want sealed since its now in a hatchback? or do i need to buy/build the proper 2.2 cf vented box?

Proper vented box will do you wonders but sealed boxes are cheap and easy so try one while waiting for a good ported design

You should be able to get some weatherstripping and a scrap of wood and just bung up your port(s) on the box you have if you'd like to test sealed. I don't know a thing about that woofer but I'd bet it's designed to function best in ported alignment as most modern high-powered woofers are.

Awesome thanks for the replys y'all !! Now when the manufacturer says 2.2 cf is that before the sub is in?? Or while the sub is in the box? Macsdad you wanna build me one??

That is what we call a prefab box, they are usually tuned to high/not enough port space to achieve proper output. This particular on says that it is tuned at 42hrtz. What type of budget do you have? A well built custom box is worth the price, and the output will kill what ever output the box you linked would. There are a few guys on here that build and ship made to order boxes, and some are even fairly priced dude.

Try à good ported box,I build à good tuned box years ago with Some help here on the forum and wow,sealed and prefab is a waste of time and money!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.