Subsonic Filter?????

Big-Cat
10+ year member

Jupiter, FL
i've got a XXX 12 and a JBL 1200.1. I'm gonna build a 2.7^3ft box tuned to 33hz. Now...i heard that the 1200.1 doesn't have a subsonic filter i think it is...and i believe it was wonderbread that told me that it could cause some serious damage to the sub. What can i do to solve this problem???

I don't really know for sure and would like more info about this too but to my understanding the frequencys that could cause damage to the driver would be really low, like under 20hz. The JBL's freq. response is listed at 20-500hz ,so I wonder if it does have any output below 20hz? Also if this was really much of a concern I would think JBL would have addressed it, I mean it is a sub amp.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

its a cost cutting measure...

A SSF is only practical in a Ported or Vented box...

in a sealed box, tehre is no worry..

it stops frequencies signifgantly lower than that of which teh box is tuned for from being sent to the driver...

I wouldnt REALLY worry about it too much...

infrasonic (subsonic) filters tend to filter out most tones below 25 hz...

how many songs do YOU ahve that play 20 hz tones?

oh, so i should basically be set...accept if i'm listening to some like bass song, which won't be too often. but how low do you think i could safely go....just incase something happens becuase i've got a bunch of files of different hz tones from 20-80, and i can compare the songs that i might want to listen to to the frequencies

dont worry.

there is VIRTUALLY no mainstream music out there taht sustains sub 20 hz tones for more than a second..

and you will be hard pressed to find anyhting below 30, (today's music, not including liek Organ music or anything...)

ok, thanks. you've helped me out a lot through out my process of building my system. i really appreciate it. by the way...my XXX comes in the mail tomorrow

You guys are right, there is virtually no music below 25 hertz. You probably couldn't hear it if there were anyway. Since you can't hear it(or since the box can't reproduce it) why would you let your amplifier recreate it? A subsonic filter will also prevent your amplifier from "wasting" any power.:p

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Big-Cat

10+ year member
Big-Cat
Jupiter, FL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from