Subs question?

Subwoofer should be correctly sized to the box. If you have room for adequate box for 12" go with 12". I can't vouch for Gcon but I've owned Z-cons and they were nicely built. Alpine type R is a known solid performer, Alpine X is their premium high-end line. Certainly very nice, but arguable whether you're noticing a whole lot of difference <80hz and in a car for sub duty. They type X components are fantastic but spendy.

Gcon is a very nice subwoofer and will stand up nicely. But with only 600 rms that subwoofer is a 950 watt rms subwoofer. You would be better off with the SSA Demon which is 550 rms and can handle more. Also if you are going to run only one subwoofer make sure you get a Dual 2 ohm so it runs at 1 ohm on the amplifier that is if you amplifier can handle it.

W6 too expensive 🤣
You think W3 sound better than Type R?
It all depends on the enclosure. If you put a W6 into a prefab enclosure and the type R in a custom enclosure, the type R will sound better. A W6 in a custom enclosure however, is one of my favorite sounding systems of all time, but the type R will be louder. I used to compete with the type R then take it out and put in my W6 for daily listening on the same amp. I’m now a budget minded guy at older age, so I switched to using Dayton audio for my daily listening subs. They are actually every bit as good as JL honestly.

Good in ported enclosures

The HO series is good. That would also work. The HO 10s are some of the most efficient ported 10s I’ve seen, in terms of box size. They work in as small as .65 cubes ported.

I’m running the Dayton ultimax series, which is a high excursion sub for sealed enclosures. I’ve never heard a better sub sealed in my vehicle other than the JL W6. I had an image dynamics sub that was also a super nice sounding sub. It’s hard to say which one sounded better, but the Dayton has the better value between the 3 I think.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...