AMP Clipping ?

Participant count
  • Participants list

bludwig

CarAudio.com Newbie
ohio
I installed 2 10 inch 300 watt RMS JL audio subs in a sealed box with a 1500 watt top strong gear amp in my GMC sierra. The subs are 4 ohm wired in parallel to a 2 ohm impedance. the amp is capable of 800 watts at 2 ohms but I have it set to 600. (34.64 Volts). my low pass filer is at 100 hertz. The problem is that my amp is clipping at 75% volume (this is the volume I set my gain at) unless I turn the high pass filter half way up and this is obviously taking away a substantial amount of frequencies and bass. I have been told many times with a sealed box I shouldnt need to even use a high pass filter( or subsonic filter). The clipping light on my amp is never solid but the lower I set the high pass filter the longer it stays on. Any info or input on what could be the problem with clipping would be greatly appreciated.

50 hertz, high pass all they down and no bass boost and hipass and lowpass off
What was the signal source? If your source was weak, a stronger source would create clipping at the same gain level. You could measure ac voltage on the signal cables to determine if that's the case.

Clipping light on that amp is likely just a cheap voltmeter. IF it's just flickering a little you're probably safe. Keep an eye on the subs. You may need to use the subsonic filter depending on the music you use and the box but probably no higher than 30hz. LPF should be 80-100.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...