Subs Manufactured In USA or China?

MiRRaGE
10+ year member

SoLoBaRiC is 4 REAL!!!
brunei
I'm wondering about this thing actually. Last 2 years ago I'd bought a Solobaric L7 (black cone) from a friend which he told me that the sub was originally manufactured in USA. The problem in my country is that nearly all the subs or amps (even some headunits) are manufactured from China and Taiwan. Some said that it's more better if the sub we buy (ie Kicker) originally manufactured from USA.

Last 2 months ago I'd sold my 15" L7 (the black cone) to a friend for US150 the next day I bought a new 15" L7 (silver cone) which is manufactured from China (the parts of course come from Stillwater Design tho). I couldn't spot any different though of which is good and which is bad...etc

So any comments here, I need to know if anyone of you know about this matter //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/yumyum.gif.0556df42231b304b9c995aefd13928a8.gif

Subs/speakers are made all over the world, my Bruneian friend. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif It's the ones made in US and Europe that tend to sound better.

Its like chevy vehicles made in the US parts from who knows. (i think toyota), but on other hand some toyotas overseas uses the chevy body. So anyways, same vehicle, same parts. I think they should manufacture more in usa, export more from the usa. Got a job for me kicker! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Unfortunately it's the consumer that forces the manufacturers to build abroad. No one will buy a product that costs 3 times as much for the same performance just because it is made in the USA, so that company either goes under or buys from overseas manufacturing. In fact the only US build house that can keep up with China is Eminence, but that is because they have been around for so long, and produce so many speakers already. Pretty much all the major brands low end product is made overseas. Heck, that's what forced us to build a production facility outside of the US. However we decided to be more strategic about it and chose Chile instead.

Now having said that, just because it's made in China doesn't mean it will be any worse. It really depends on the build house making it. There are some good one's over there, and there are some bad ones. If you choose a good one, you will get a VERY reliable product, as I'm sure a lot of the larger manufacturers have done. The only difference is where the engineering is done.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Unfortunately it's the consumer that forces the manufacturers to build abroad. No one will buy a product that costs 3 times as much for the same performance just because it is made in the USA, so that company either goes under or buys from overseas manufacturing. In fact the only US build house that can keep up with China is Eminence, but that is because they have been around for so long, and produce so many speakers already. Pretty much all the major brands low end product is made overseas. Heck, that's what forced us to build a production facility outside of the US. However we decided to be more strategic about it and chose Chile instead.
Now having said that, just because it's made in China doesn't mean it will be any worse. It really depends on the build house making it. There are some good one's over there, and there are some bad ones. If you choose a good one, you will get a VERY reliable product, as I'm sure a lot of the larger manufacturers have done. The only difference is where the engineering is done.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

AGREED! Its amazing the people that want Amercian made products but want to pay Chineses prices. In my personal opinion it doesn't matter where any driver is made, the question you should ask yourself is, "Who are they people that spent countless hours designing it?" Even the best built American driver will fail if an idiot is holding the mouse at the workstation.

Nick

Speaking of which, one of my 187s is starting to rust, Nick. The paint on the basket and magnet chipped and well, now it's got sickly rusty spots in two locations. =\ Would it be possible to sand the magnet & basket and prime it myself?

Anyhoo, I really can't say anything on this matter, I've owned a grand total of 3 types of subwoofers, 2 from China, one from USA. While the American made ones win hands down in the SQ, SPL, and build quality departments, there's just so much more to it than "sub X is made in the USA and it PWNS!!". If my 187 were made in China, and the person there put the same heart into building it there that the person in the US did making it here, then there is no real difference.

Speaking of which, one of my 187s is starting to rust, Nick. The paint on the basket and magnet chipped and well, now it's got sickly rusty spots in two locations. =\ Would it be possible to sand the magnet & basket and prime it myself?
Anyhoo, I really can't say anything on this matter, I've owned a grand total of 3 types of subwoofers, 2 from China, one from USA. While the American made ones win hands down in the SQ, SPL, and build quality departments, there's just so much more to it than "sub X is made in the USA and it PWNS!!". If my 187 were made in China, and the person there put the same heart into building it there that the person in the US did making it here, then there is no real difference.

I think you summed it up well. Occasionally rust does happen on the motor due to condensation, but you can sand it down and paint it and it’ll look good as new. Be careful not to get anything down in the pole vent. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Nick

That's my worry. I'll duct tape a trash bag between the basket and the pole vent. Then I'll chrome it over and take pics. =) Glue some aluminum foil on there & stuff, by the time I'm done, the cone will weight a solid pound. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Unfortunately it's the consumer that forces the manufacturers to build abroad. No one will buy a product that costs 3 times as much for the same performance just because it is made in the USA, so that company either goes under or buys from overseas manufacturing.
Actually, it's called globalization. Also, I fail to see why any business would expect consumers to pay more for American-built speakers. I bought my Kodas because of their amazing sound & value back when they were on clearance.

Actually, it's called globalization. Also, I fail to see why any business would expect consumers to pay more for American-built speakers. I bought my Kodas because of their amazing sound & value back when they were on clearance.
It's not a matter of expecting a higher price, but a question of how much it costs to manufacturer. It is much cheaper now to produce something over in China because they pay their workers only a couple dollars a day. We have minimum wage laws protecting workers pay, so it costs a great deal more to produce the product here.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

It's not a matter of expecting a higher price, but a question of how much it costs to manufacturer. It is much cheaper now to produce something over in China because they pay their workers only a couple dollars a day. We have minimum wage laws protecting workers pay, so it costs a great deal more to produce the product here.
Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

I just hope the majority of cost reduction is passed on to the consumer as significant savings. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I just hope the majority of cost reduction is passed on to the consumer as significant savings. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Hence the reason to produce overseas.......cheaper labor = cheaper cost = cheaper price.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.