Subs giving off unstable ohms

make it captain morgan and pizza and count me in
Your in min-ee-soda. You'll get Linnenkugal beer and Lutefisk pizza, that's what swedes get. If it's state fair time, you'll be lucky if it's not on a stick. lol. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

Oh, ****!!! You just pissed away alot of money.
Find somebody that knows about audio and offer him beer and pizza to help you out next time. It will be cheaper than buying crap that doesn't work or smoking more gear.
nah got years outta em must be the 3rd car i had them in

he probably wired it to like .25ohms thats why his amp is smoking
4ohms actually wired them parallel
Do you own a Geiger counter?
no but the shop i had my 0gauge ran &amp hooked up at said my subs jump from like 1ohm to 3ohms then 4ohms then back down

4ohms actually wired them parallel

no but the shop i had my 0gauge ran &amp hooked up at said my subs jump from like 1ohm to 3ohms then 4ohms then back down
There is only one way the coil resistance is varying like that... the cone is moving (hence the coil is moving in/out of the gap, and altering impedance).

There is no other way the coil would change impedance like that. Coil impedance is simply a measurement of the resistance of the wire that makes up the coil. Heat can and will alter this somewhat at the coil warms up and moves into its nominal operating temp, but that is normal for any speaker.

If I took a speaker to a shop and they suggested the coil was magically changing impedance, I would instantly know the guy has no clue what he is doing.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif where are you in MN?
st paul

There is only one way the coil resistance is varying like that... the cone is moving (hence the coil is moving in/out of the gap, and altering impedance).
There is no other way the coil would change impedance like that. Coil impedance is simply a measurement of the resistance of the wire that makes up the coil. Heat can and will alter this somewhat at the coil warms up and moves into its nominal operating temp, but that is normal for any speaker.

If I took a speaker to a shop and they suggested the coil was magically changing impedance, I would instantly know the guy has no clue what he is doing.
Does this explain y the subs worked then cut out and eventually led to the amp smoking ? Or did the shop screw up? my same deck amp subs all worked in my saturn problem free for at least a year

st paul
Does this explain y the subs worked then cut out and eventually led to the amp smoking ? Or did the shop screw up? my same deck amp subs all worked in my saturn problem free for at least a year
Well if the amp failed, its failure would cause the subs to cut out. I suspect the worst in people. Did the guy at the shop test your sub with a DMM? Did he do it in front of you so you could see the ohm's reading that apparently changed? Did the guy have his hand on or anywhere near the cone or suspension at the time of the reading?
I wouldn't put it past a shop to move the cone while demonstrating the potential customer the 'problem' with their existing speaker. I bet the shop owner sold plenty of new subs with 'stable ohms' too, didn't he.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.