Subs for metal

alright i am a total metal head and i picked out 3 different sets of 12" that id like to have an opinion on whether they would be good for metal. What i am looking for is to be able to have subs that will hit every double bass kick very precisely yet very hit you in the chest hard effect. so i guess a very precise BOOM haha. i hear that a sealed box would make more precise and a ported box would be more boom and i am not sure on which i should get.

two 12" kicker l7's at 2 ohm

two 12" Image Dynamics IDQ12 v.3 D2 at 2 ohm

two 12" JL 12W3v3-2 at 2 ohm

and also i will be playing hiphop stuff like yelawolf/tech n9ne and also i like dubstep.

if you have a better pair of 12" that would fit my needs

Out of those, IDQ or w6 not w3.
I listen to metal. And I prefer ported. And 15s.

Trust me. If you want to really feel the kick pedal...12s won't get it done to the effect you are looking for. At least they didnt get it done for me.

You need to decide how much space you have and how much power you plan to run. Buy good quality woofers, put them in the correct box, and they will play ALL music accurately.

The way your subwoofer responds to frequencies across its playable range is dependent on several things, and the box is the most important factor. If you have the correct box with the correct tuning on the correct power, you'll be able to expect a similar output throughout its playable range. That is, its response curve will be relatively flat(that's the goal, anyway). If you're NOT interested in having a flat response(but again, unless you're competing for SPL, you're going to want a flat response curve), then you'll see peaks and valleys throughout the curve.

I don't have an image that shows a frequency response curve, so the following will have to be okay. Imagine that the y axis represents your gain(dB level), and the x axis represents the frequency range:

curvedline_graph.gif

You don't want your subwoofer to peak at 55Hz and valley at 30Hz. It won't sound good.

I don't have a comprehensive understanding of any of this, so I hope nothing I've said is incorrect.

I listen to metal. And I prefer ported. And 15s.
Trust me. If you want to really feel the kick pedal...12s won't get it done to the effect you are looking for. At least they didnt get it done for me.
I agree completely!! I love my 15 for metal. It's accurate and loud. And it is also in a ported box.

yeah low end 15s compared to high end 12s

Yea I find a good quality 15 is the ideal sub for every music style. It will get low when you need it to and it will always get stupid loud. And plus a 15 just has......that speacial sound. I'm sure you know what I mean, that speacial sound that is distinctive to a 15 that no other sub can achieve.

wow lots of mis-information in the right box a 8, 10, 12, 15, 18, and 21 will sound the exact same with the exception of the amount of air displaced. but with the larger amount of air displaced the larger the box or larger amount of power is needed. there is no special 15 sound and a larger speaker wont necessarily play lower. it has more to do with the box and amount of power put to the speaker than the size of the cone. dont believe me look up some of thors builds o here he only runs 10s and id be willing to bet he is louder than a large majority of the people on here

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.