Subs facing forward?

What would the difference be if I face my subscription forward or back? I currently have them facing the back seat and when I put the seat down they sound alot louder. Is there a difference in Sq in the way the face? They are 2 12" kicker L7s. I know they aren't great for Sq but what would be the best set up to get the most of them?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

not sure how accurate this is but facing outward closer to the trunk opening is the loudest, but there are lots of factors like enclosure, back seat up/down etc.

What would the difference be if I face my subscription forward or back? I currently have them facing the back seat and when I put the seat down they sound alot louder. Is there a difference in Sq in the way the face? They are 2 12" kicker L7s. I know they aren't great for Sq but what would be the best set up to get the most of them?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Peeps keep asking this so I tried it once again and facing subs into car doesn't work at all in my case., my 12 sounds like 6.5" mid.. now if u seal the box to the opening at backseat then it may do better or even if your box is so big it almost takes up the entire opening it may work, even my box may work in another car but most peeps will tell u the longer the sound wave travels the louder it I when it gets to u, the trunk sort of acts like a 2nd box is how I've heard it described.. I flipped my sub back around 2 hrs ago and I swear it goes from sound like door speaker to sounding like 2 12" subs in my case like 40 times louder to fire rear.. kid bought my old orion hp 12's and crossfire amp with decent ported box it was so loud in my car I took it out yrs ago and just used 1 in smaller box., I assumed it would be stupid loud in his truck (smaller space) he liked it so I didn't have heart to tell him its at best 1/2 as loud in his truck as in my trunk cause subs are facing forward., just told him today he should move them around some...

Peeps keep asking this so I tried it once again and facing subs into car doesn't work at all in my case., my 12 sounds like 6.5" mid.. now if u seal the box to the opening at backseat then it may do better or even if your box is so big it almost takes up the entire opening it may work, even my box may work in another car but most peeps will tell u the longer the sound wave travels the louder it I when it gets to u, the trunk sort of acts like a 2nd box is how I've heard it described.. I flipped my sub back around 2 hrs ago and I swear it goes from sound like door speaker to sounding like 2 12" subs in my case like 40 times louder to fire rear.. kid bought my old orion hp 12's and crossfire amp with decent ported box it was so loud in my car I took it out yrs ago and just used 1 in smaller box., I assumed it would be stupid loud in his truck (smaller space) he liked it so I didn't have heart to tell him its at best 1/2 as loud in his truck as in my trunk cause subs are facing forward., just told him today he should move them around some...

If your firing subs forward you want to seal it off so no air or anything goes towards the rear. A truck an a trunk setup are two different things so acourse there not going to sound the same or be as loud in one or the other.

If your firing subs forward you want to seal it off so no air or anything goes towards the rear. A truck an a trunk setup are two different things so acourse there not going to sound the same or be as loud in one or the other.
I said it would have to be sealed but are u the one that said u never tried subs facing rear?, If so I suggest u try it..

I said it would have to be sealed but are u the one that said u never tried subs facing rear?, If so I suggest u try it..
No gramps that was not me because I have tried subs/port back, I actually had my current setup like that for a little bit when I got the car. You said you tried it an it didn't work for you hmm did you actually seal it off an all that an then conclude your opinion or just turned it around an based it off that.

It works well if done right. I'm dropping my expensive customs and going with even more expensive x 12s because they work better for this type of setup. I'm breaking them in and can tell it's gonna be a lot louder. Got a local shop that's gonna build me a new setup like this. They said the Xs are very efficient and with 4k, he is almost guaranteeing me a 50.

IMG_20170321_184955_zpsh8dppxck.jpg

Need the right combo of power, subs and design.

It works well if done right. I'm dropping my expensive customs and going with even more expensive x 12s because they work better for this type of setup. I'm breaking them in and can tell it's gonna be a lot louder. Got a local shop that's gonna build me a new setup like this. They said the Xs are very efficient and with 4k, he is almost guaranteeing me a 50.
IMG_20170321_184955_zpsh8dppxck.jpg

Need the right combo of power, subs and design.
I love those subs but I like my car to much to seal box to it like that.. if I could just have a box like 1/4" gap on side of opening then I'd like to do it but I'm not using spray foam or whatever on it

depends on box tuning and size of the vehicle, tbh, at least in my experience... the further down in frequency you go, the longer the sound wave needs to travel on a longitudinal plane. situating a box built for low 30's will do better

(once again, in my experience) when you face port/sub to the rear as opposed to tuning in high 40's where situating them forward and sealing off the trunk may produce higher spl's. some people have different configurations like port up/sub rear, or what have you to make a compromise in their goals, such as clarity vs. spl.

having control of the phase shift (rudimentary time alignment) helps quite a bit as well in finding the sweet spot.

test, retest, and test again

Completely car/resonance dependent. Many smaller cars metering meca style (headrest; headrest likes lower freqs) are loudest subs forward, port firing to opposite side of meter. I tried every orientation possible in my 4dr saturn. This was loudest (and lowest). Midsize cars and dbdrag cars do really well completely sealed off.

Definately isnt a 1 size fits all thing

I all honesty, every loud car I've ever seen runs this setup or straight walled. I'm not gonna lie, it wasn't easy to just do that to my new car and seal it but I love bass and could have died in a wreck I was in last year, so I'mma do what I want while I can and spare no expense doing it. Hoping to have one of the loudest cars in the state when I'm done

I lost major db firing forward (completely sealed off from trunk) in my Mustang. Ton of extra work but hey, gotta try everything....

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.