Subs aren't hitting like they should... Please Help

Any advice? I'm confused as to what I should do? I don't have an oscope available to me. I know they should be able to hit harder, I'm just trying to figure out what I should do. I've thought about using a -3db tuning tone. And also tuning with the subs plugged in. When I originally tuned with my 50hz tone, I had my hu hpf set but sound to still went out to the door speakers... One I don't think that's normal and two could it have affected the tuning?
set the amp gain UNLOADED with a DMM, that's digital multimeter. When a load is presented afterward, the resistance of that load will determine how much amperage will be put out at that target voltage, which then will result in wattage.

Bass in music rarely sees 0db, so most people use -3 or -6db to set gains. I use 0db because I like the reference point it gives me due to the fact that all my music is bass boosted through Audacity.

Food for thought, if you set gains with 0db tone, and the song you play doesn't exceed -6db, you're only getting quarter power. So 1000watts is actually 250watts. Therefore, you have to turn up the volume on the HU some more to get closer to 1000watts.

If you set gains with a -3db tone for 1000watts, now that -6db tone in that song is giving you 500watts.

The high pass filter on your headunit is not a sonic brick wall . Some of that 50 hz tone is going to make it to your speakers whether you like it or not unless that filter has a really steep slope. I wouldn't be concerned that some of the tone is making it through to your interior speakers unless it is distorting them badly. Like was mentioned before that test tone is much higher in signal than your music. I have always set my gains by ear. I know it doesnt work for everyone but it has served me well for the last 18 years.

Thanks guys, so I should continue to tune without my subs plugged in? I'll use a -3db tone at 60hz. Hopefully this will help it. If I'm correct, my 8 band eq should be flat when I time the amp?

Why sub plugged in? Some people are saying tune amp loaded and some say unloaded
Because otherwise you will not be tuning g properly. The readout with a dmm needs to be under load hence ohms which is why you want the sub conected.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.