Sub facing UP in trunk?

k_schutte
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
OK, can't fit this 18" in my trunk Like I had hoped (sub back, port up through deck) but I think I have a solution...

I can make a box 14" tall, 38" wide and 36" deep max dimensions and it will fit in my trunk. I would have to mount the sub so it is facing UP in the box but there is a good 6"-7"+ of room above the sub if I make the box 14"-15" tall. I was thinking 14" tall, 36" wide a 32" deep would be about perfect and that would give me about 7.1ft^3 which would then leave me a little extra space for my bracing rods (3/4" threaded rods") and all that good stuff. Port is still going to be EXTERNAL and coming up through the rear deck...

So I guess the point of this thread is: sub facing UP in a trunk OK?

use your imagination:

I just built a much smaller box for my SUV (and yes I am a novice, but for whatever it's worth) and I didn't plan it out too well. I ended up having to mount it on top. It sounds great. (for being such a small box). So, again for whatever it's worth, I think it is ok to face it up.

SUV is a whole different beast than a trunk car though. Pretty much anything sounds good in an SUV/hatch, trunks are a little more picky. I am going to give this a go and see what happens.

Any Ideas what sort of gains I should see switching from a single 15" on about 3kw to an 18" on 5Kw~?

the 15" was an SPL-15/TeamPSI in 4.5ft^3 @ 40hz, sub and port both rear facing in the trunk. 18" is a fully loaded BTL, box will be 7ft^3 @ 40hz (for comps, 32hz daily) sub up and ported through the rear deck. the 15" did a best of like 143.6dB~ so I had better AT LEAST hit that or I am going to be VERY pissed!

May want to throw some deadening on the underside of your trunk lid if you havent all ready.
3-layers everywhere... I think I added a good 200lbs of deadener to my car. I don't get ANY flex now, which for youtube ***** but on the meter I gained over 2dB's so...

Facing up is totally fine. I got a box design from RyanM923 and its sub up port forward. Dude get a box design from him they're super legit;) Btw im fittin my 18" btl in a civic in a smaller box than you so you shouldn't have to worry about it sounding bad at all. But like I said, ^that guy makes some legit designs. Heres mine

Single18-675ft3-at-33hz-A.png

Single18-675ft3-at-33hz-B.png

Facing up is totally fine. I got a box design from RyanM923 and its sub up port forward. Dude get a box design from him they're super legit;) Btw im fittin my 18" btl in a civic in a smaller box than you so you shouldn't have to worry about it sounding bad at all. But like I said, ^that guy makes some legit designs. Heres mine
Single18-675ft3-at-33hz-A.png

Single18-675ft3-at-33hz-B.png

Yeah, He does good ****... I am fine doing my own designs and everything I am just not sure on the "orientation" of ports/subs as I have ALWAYS done sub/port rear so... My air bags should be here mid week so with any luck I should be able to start throwing this **** in the car next weekend! Still nervous about cutting a giant hole in my rear deck! Don't think my finance company would be too excited about it either but f*ck them!

Yeah, He does good ****... I am fine doing my own designs and everything I am just not sure on the "orientation" of ports/subs as I have ALWAYS done sub/port rear so... My air bags should be here mid week so with any luck I should be able to start throwing this **** in the car next weekend! Still nervous about cutting a giant hole in my rear deck! Don't think my finance company would be too excited about it either but f*ck them!
What you mean air bags? And lmao yea i imagine they aint gonna be too happy. What car do you have?

What you mean air bags? And lmao yea i imagine they aint gonna be too happy. What car do you have?
air bags for the rear suspension.... adding 400lbs+ to the stock rear suspension is a BIG no-no. it's a '99 Cadillac ETC

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.