Sub amplifier causing tire pressure sensor failure

mliebs

I recently replaced my JL Audio amplifiers with Zapco and now my tire pressure sensor failure lights are coming on. It took me a month to tie the two together but this morning I removed the remote turn on for my ST1350 and the sensors worked without a problem. I'm now looking at buying another 600/1 to replace the ST1350 but wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem. Also are there any particular brands that tend to disrupt the can communication system on new cars more than others?

Could be EMF and like someone said make sure the power and ground wires are large enough and away from any other lower voltage wires that may be getting induced voltage from the larger power wires. Some class D amplifiers emit radio frequencies that interfere with other electronics too, especially your radio so you have to keep the location of the amplifier in mind for that; typically 3+ feet away min and more is better.

I'm running 4 gauge wire and only using the amplifier at 2ohms. The speaker wire is 10 gauge and everything is installed properly (at least it looks that way). As mentioned above it's also affecting my FM reception because I thought I had a problem with my antenna but now that I've disconnected the amplifier the FM reception is perfect. All I did was remove my JL 600/1 and place this one in the same spot. Something in the amplifier frequency is causing a communication issue. The amplifier is mounted in the trunk of a 2017 Mustang GT. Everything is also being run through a JL Fix86 and TWK88. I ran the system with the amplifier on but not playing any volume and it triggered the sensors. Then I removed the remote wire so the amplifier wouldn't turn on and the sensors and FM reception work without any issues. I guess my biggest question is why didn't it do this with the JL amplifier?

I'm running 4 gauge wire and only using the amplifier at 2ohms. The speaker wire is 10 gauge and everything is installed properly (at least it looks that way). As mentioned above it's also affecting my FM reception because I thought I had a problem with my antenna but now that I've disconnected the amplifier the FM reception is perfect. All I did was remove my JL 600/1 and place this one in the same spot. Something in the amplifier frequency is causing a communication issue. The amplifier is mounted in the trunk of a 2017 Mustang GT. Everything is also being run through a JL Fix86 and TWK88. I ran the system with the amplifier on but not playing any volume and it triggered the sensors. Then I removed the remote wire so the amplifier wouldn't turn on and the sensors and FM reception work without any issues. I guess my biggest question is why didn't it do this with the JL amplifier?
Bad amp internals ?
Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

With the amp not mounted, wires connected securely and amp on, try to move it around and see what happens, if there is a difference then you may need to mount it in a different direction.

yeah see if moving amp works but also add a 2nd ground.. cause not that hard to do but have seen some amps messing up radio reception too.. u could also just let it go and unplug amp fuse when u get car inspected or whatever..

If anything electrical is messing up antenna signal then your vehicle has a power antenna
Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
nope had a concept 1200d do it to my 04 grand prix 12 yrs ago,, had no radio took it to dealer told them the antenna must fell out of plug on hu they checked it, it was fine unplugged fuse on amp wire radio worked.. glad i know owner or they woulda charged me.. so i went to shop i worked at stuck another exact same amp in., radio was fine..

Last edited by a moderator:
Class D amplifiers are known to produce radio interference, especially likely with older designs or lower quality amplifiers. Now Zapco isn’t low quality by any stretch but It could still happen. It happens because of the higher switching frequency at which transistors operate. This happened to me with a cheaper NVX amplifier where The radio reception got better when I turned that class D amplifier off. I’ve since replaced that amplifier with a Pioneer class D amplifier and everything is fine now.

I wanted to give everyone an update on the original post. I called Zapco and they said they would swap the amp out if I wanted but they asked me to change mounting locations first. I'm tired of messing around with the car so I removed the amplifier and replaced with a JL RD1000/1 in the same location and the problem went away. While I was working on it I removed the two ST-4X SQ amplifiers running my front stage and went back with my Z150.6 LX also.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.