Stupidest Thing You Have Ever Heard When Talking With Someone About Car Audio?

ok but i didnt read any wehre that were where talking about sustained sound. but really it is good to know. its kinda crazy how 194 is the loudest sustained sound and the car audio world is comin up to it. What will we do once someone hits 194? then what will we stive for?
no one will hit 194... i don't think it is even close to possible in the confines of a car... or many places for that matter.... your speaker would have to be as big as the car with an excursion as wide as your car... lol not to mention as soon as your body was exposed to it your skin would start peeling off and your vocal cords would just about snap... it would feel like yelling at the top of your lungs and not being able to stop untill you can't talk:eek:

had a kid tell me he paid "$1200 each" for his kicker L7s..

the silver ones too...

oh, and his Hifonics 2000 watt mono was "3,000 dollars"...

on my Treo, i loaded up ebay and asked him why they went for 200 bucks all day long.

Ummm actually when the hifonics herc first came out shops around here had for around 2500.00

Yea nuts huh

I went to my local shop looking for a 12 inch sub. Now what I was looking for was some DD or RE or just something good. I get in there and the guy is showing me stuff. Up first jlw7 he is like stay away from these they are over rated and overpriced. im like yes I actually got a real salesman. then he said here these are the best subs you can buy they are they hottest on the market either will be awesome. He showed me audiobahn immortals and alpine type S.

My brother works with this guy who brags to all of his friend how loud his system was. So my bro is like I bet my brothers is louder. The kid says no way ill run against him I have jl w7 what does he have. My brother stated FI BTL

He said because he never heard of them that it will crush mine. I told my brother nothing from JL will be louder then my sub. He went back and told the kid and the kid was like umm i meant i have pioneer.

my friend decided to run 10 gauge power and 5 gauge ground to a Hercules. he wrecked it within a week. he also thinks that that he can run a Colossus and Jupiter with only 1 gauge and 4 gauge and only 2 batteries and a 150 amp alternator.

i also had an experience at BB when i asked if i could use a cd i made to test out some subs( i was fvcking around). he told me that i couldnt becasue it was a bass cd i made. apparently to him anything not bought from like a store or something is bad. "you could hurt the subs" he says. i tell him that i think the subs will handle it and that i know when the subs would be reaching the mechanical limits. using the radio would prolly be worse than the cd i hade made.

oh, also "is it oj to mix like 12's and 15's?" LOLROFLMF

^^if i worked at CCity I would not be letting people use burnt cds they brought in. To much chance for damage I dont blame the guy for that one.

Guy i work with has a JLw3 in a standard slot port and some Adudiobhan sub in a bandpass box he told me the JL was tuned to hit the lows and the Audiobahn was for getting loud.

Trust me theres no use trying to help him.

I went to a local diner last night for the AllUCanEat fried catfish special they had running.

The busboy at said diner saw me pull in and assumed I had some stereo gear in there ~ I will guess because my little Prizm doesn't particularly appear stock...I cannot say for certain.

At any rate - he proceeds to ask me what I have done to the car. I tell him performance-wise, absolutely nothing. It's mechanically a Toyota Corolla. It isn't fast, it doesn't handle like a sports car, it wasn't intended for such endeavors. It's an econobox. That's all it was built for. I have no delusions of grandeur that it will ever be anything but an econobox albeit one with a decent paintjob, some nice rims, and good tint.

So the conversation then turns to audio gear as this fella has a mid-80s Corolla GT-S (the stateside version of the AE86 Trueno that the drifter crowd is so fond of) with a bit of audio in it. He has (and I quote) "A Panasonic CD player because my Pioneer died. I don't know why, exactly, but it might have been because I had 8 speakers connected directly to it....someone told me that could cause problems when they saw it....maybe they were right. Anyway - I have two Pioneer... umm..... 5-somethings up front."

"5 and 1/4" speakers, perhaps?" I offered.

"Yeah! That's what they are! Man - you really know your ish, huh?"

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif is my response...

So he continues...."I also have 6" or something like that in the back...you know, in the back window?"

"Mounted in the rear package shelf, maybe?" says Prowler.

"Yeah! That's where they are. I also have a bass tube....I like Kenwood....no, I mean Kicker. Yeah - that's what it is....a Kicker 10" mounted in a bass tube. It's currently running off of the amp in the bass tube but I want to eventually get my own amp to run it. I don't think the amp in the bass tube is quite cutting it..."

So after my meal is done he offers to let me have a look at the beginnings of a "real" system...

So he's got a Panasonic HU (do not know what model - I'm not familiar in the least with Panasonics products) which has a multicolor flipface so I reckon it was one of the higher models.

Up front I found a pair of 5.25" Pioneer dual-cone (no separate driver for highs...just the paper 'whizzer' cone) that are mounted using one screw in each speaker.

In the back there are 2-way Pioneer 6.5" coaxials...just laying on the rear deck. Apparently he couldn't figure out how to access the actual OEM speaker mounting pods and instead just laid the Pioneers atop the rear deck and punched holes in the deck surface to run the wires from the underside of the OEM speakers that are still there to the Pioneer coaxials. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Finishing off this masterpiece was, just like he said, a Kicker Comp 10" in a Bazooka tube. He mentioned something about the original Bazooka driver that came in the tube giving up the fight and he replaced it with this entry-level Kicker that was given to him by a friend.

Looking to me eagerly for compliments on his "system" all I can tell the guy (so I don't crush his frail little ego) is "Well, it sounds alright for a starter setup I reckon!"

Then he wants to hear Gossamer's tunes. As we're walking over to where I was parked he asks me if I'm running 18s.

I said, "Are you and I looking at the same red car, man? No way do I have enough trunk space for 18s. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif I might could get a single one in there in a sealed enclosure but no way in Hades would an appropriate ported box for a decent 18" get in there without huge amounts of trouble if at all."

So - I get in the car and turn the key...I had been listening to Ozzy's latest disc, Black Rain, and the track that is getting so much radio play currently, I Don't Wanna Stop, was cued up so I went ahead and let it play. Not very bass-heavy but more than enough to make you take notice of a decent substage if it's present.

His eyebrows go up into his hairline and he says," Man! That's tight! If you're not running 18s what are you running?"

"A single 12."

"How much power are you giving it?"

"The amp it's running off of is rated for 750w+ RMS in its current configuration."

"You can make amps run at different power levels?"

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif again from me...

The conversation proceeded for a few minutes before I left but at the end of it I gave him one of my cards and told him I would be happy to help him properly setup his gear should he make any improvements/upgrades in the near future.

Very smooth how you handled that Prowler, kudos to you. I try to be the same way with younger guys just learning as we all were there once...
I'll tell you the truth, man, my reaction(s) to this guy are most likely due in large part to my constant participation here. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Once I might have just laughed in his face for being so naive but after being here and seeing the endless totally n00b questions that constantly surface it reminds me that almost all of us have to start in the exact same place ~ totally clueless. If someone hadn't been willing way back then to take a moment and offer some real guidance to me instead of simply ridiculing my lack of knowledge I'm certain that I wouldn't be nearly as knowledgeable as I am now. And that's not to mean I'm any kind of an expert or anything....I'm still learning all the time myself!

But - if my being willing to give that guy a pointer or three actually enables him to learn some real information rather than operating on misinformation gathered from idiot salespeople and friends that are just as clueless as him then I have furthered the hobby at large for all of us in some small way. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i thought that you were talking about DB period not soundwaves.
i'm not shure about this but i think that the volumes above 194 aren't messured in decibels, it is only a theoretical representation of how loud it would be...

because above that level they aren't really sound at all...

for example: an earthquake, is messured on the rictor scale, but if that wave was a sound wave, then it would be X amount of decibles....

to answer someones question earlier.... after 194dBs your car no longer puts out sound, it puts out earthquakes

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.