Stuck in Mono...

Heathen

CarAudio.com Recruit
Auckland
I have a KW-M560BT.

I connect my iPod and the sound only comes out through one channel (the right hand speaker).

I tested the iPod with headphones and the sound cones through both channels. That eliminates an iPod problem.

I've also tried different 3.5mm to 3.5mm leads. That eliminates the connection problem.

I can't find anything in the headunit's settings. Any obscure menu thing that I may be overlooking?

Sorry, I could've added that info in initial post:
*Problem only occurs with device connected via 3.5mm AUX
*Bluetooth/Radio/USB all play fine in stereo.
*Reasonably sure that it has always been like this.

The reason I am "reasonably sure" is that I've just replaced headunits. This is a replacement for the last JVC which I could not use any of the features due to the shitty Weblink app which never worked. I do know that when I first started using the iPod, in this fashion, in my vehicle, it worked fine. However, the last time i used it may have been with that last stereo.

I have just tried the "initialise" function. It wiped everything (clock, radio setting, x-over settings etc), but Mono problem still exists.

I agree. Probably the jack. Can you use a USB ipod cable? That's what I always did when I ran an Ipod. Don't have to worry about charging it either. Just kept it connected in the glove box.

'I had mono once ' - 💋

Thanks for the suggestions.

The broken jack is looking to be a very likely reality. Although, I hope not because it's a brand new stereo, and I can't be bothered taking it back out for repair (which I may have to pay for).

If playing the iPod through the USB is an option, it will do. I just don't want to wreck the battery by having it charging constantly. In addition, if it's anything like the last JVC, you can't just select music via the iPod - you have to use a slow, glitchy on-screen menu that's very annoying.

The 3.5mm is just too convenient.

ALSO! If anyone is familiar with this JVC generation (or other similar set ups):

My clock keeps losing an hour! Everything else stays in memory!

I expect it may be a DST, or Radio info update, but I can't see anywhere to check/disable this.

Help!

?

This is probably not the problem, but I figured I'd mention it just incase it was. I had the same problem a long while ago. Turned out the 3.5mm Jack I was using was a mono Jack. Apparently, if there are 2 lines around the Male end, it's a stereo Jack, if it only has 1 line, it'll only play mono from the source.

If playing the iPod through the USB is an option, it will do. I just don't want to wreck the battery by having it charging constantly. In addition, if it's anything like the last JVC, you can't just select music via the iPod - you have to use a slow, glitchy on-screen menu that's very annoying.

It's been about 10 years but my Alpine had an ipod mode to where you could use the Ipod to choose music or turn that mode off and use the headunit. My Ipod battery actually did die but I'm not really sure if it was related to always having it plugged in or just old. Still works as long as it's connected with USB.

Dafaseles - Thanks for the suggestion, but I specifically used a 3.5mm with multiple bands to also transmit video from the iPod. The second lead I tried was definitely a mulitband/stereo one.

Popwarhomie - that's a good idea, i'll see if there are options for that in the menu/settings.

Sooo...I start to pull my 3.5mm lead out of the back of the head unit. Once I get to ~3/4 of the way out, the music starts playing through the left channel (right one goes silent). This confirms broken Aux input?

Sooo...I start to pull my 3.5mm lead out of the back of the head unit. Once I get to ~3/4 of the way out, the music starts playing through the left channel (right one goes silent). This confirms broken Aux input?
No. This confirms that Aux input is working fine. The issue seems to have shifted to your cable. A comment you made earlier caught my attention.
but I specifically used a 3.5mm with multiple bands to also transmit video from the iPod.
I have never heard of video processed through an 3.5mm cable or an Auxillary input. Aux inputs only have three points of contact, so only 3 band 3.5mm cables will work.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.