Strange problem..

Da64u
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I have three amps that have been working great so far, until today..

Now, when the bass bumps about 1/2 volume all sound shuts off.

The Alpine amp powering the mids, and Hifonics powering the subs both stay on and not in protect. The JL amp on the tweeters turns off (No lights)

Now, when the problem happens the alpine and hifonics both have blue leds for show, and they dim right when the music cuts out and stay lit but dim.

While the sound is off and I turn up the volume knob my line driver is still flickering as if there is still signal coming. Not sure why all the amps are cutting off though..

I'm thinking about testing the remote wire for it's voltage..

All three amps are grounded at a good solid common ground.

I haven't changed anything in the last 2 weeks that could have caused this.

Any ideas?

I'm thinking it's the head unit..

All current stats are in my signature.

Update..

After checking, when the problem happens the remote wire consistently stays at 12.1v but the power wire drops down to 2.5 to 3.0 volts.. WTF? That's with the car running and everything..

.Well i suppose its inevitable that someone will say this... but have you checked your fuses / loose power connections?

I once blew the side off my fuse where it was still just barely linked and had a similar problem. Result was amps powering on at ~11v but any sort of sound dropped it to 7-8v. maybe your jl refuses to work with low voltage, while the hifonics just isnt smart enough to turn off like the fancy jl.

.Well i suppose its inevitable that someone will say this... but have you checked your fuses / loose power connections?I once blew the side off my fuse where it was still just barely linked and had a similar problem. Result was amps powering on at ~11v but any sort of sound dropped it to 7-8v. maybe your jl refuses to work with low voltage, while the hifonics just isnt smart enough to turn off like the fancy jl.
Moving the fuse holder seems to affect it. I'm going to replace the fuse Saturday since the holder looks smoke colored.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.