Strange Issue With My System (Amp?/HU?)

Participant count
  • Participant list

kidwolf909
10+ year member

Never Enough Money
Maryland
So today I drove back to school, 45 minutes drive on bumpy-ish highway. Get back to school and pull into the parking lot and as I put it in park, my right door speakers start acting up. At first I was extremely frightened, they started crackling and sounded like they were locking up about to blow, but they've endured MUCH more volume before.

So anyway, I turn off the head unit for a few minutes, turn it back on, and they're back to normal. Let it play for a whole song and they start to act up again, but I notice that it's primarily when I turn my head unit down below 1/2 volume.

Experimenting, I turn it back up to 50/80 and they crackle a little bit and then go back to normal volume! Rinse and repeat 20 or so times and it's consistently reliant on the volume.

I noticed, however, that they still play even when they cut out, it's just MUCH quieter... meanwhile, my driver side is doing just fine, along with my sub.

I pull off the door panel, check all connections at crossover and speakers, as well as check the connection at my amp (PDX2.150), all is well. Pull out the head unit and check the RCA connections as well as those on the amp and they look fine but issue still persists.

Now what on EARTH do you guys think this is? I have yet to switch the RCA's from the front output to the rear to test if it's a weak signal from the head unit, but I will in the coming days. My amp isn't overheating or anything either, it's cool to the touch and the driver side plays fine... And if something had vibrated loose, you'd think it would have happened on the highway, not in a parking lot.

WTF?!?

i'd swap the left and right rca cables and see what happens. should let you know right away if it is the speaker or somewhere in the connection line (hu, rca, amp).

Hmm. Just a random educated guess from me.... Maybe the voice coil is getting hot and as a result, the resistance in the coil is also going up.

IDK... just a random guess //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

i'd swap the left and right rca cables and see what happens. should let you know right away if it is the speaker or somewhere in the connection line (hu, rca, amp).
Wow, thanks man, I completely didn't think of that test lol...

I had already planned to swap the RCA's to the rear output to test if it was just the front outputs and therefor my headunit, but since I'm at school, I have limited tools to do stuff and limited time due to class.

Thanks you guys! I posted this over at DIYMA and got no responses for days! I'm glad CA.com is still good for more than just classifieds! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I'll let you know what happens.

Hmm. Just a random educated guess from me.... Maybe the voice coil is getting hot and as a result, the resistance in the coil is also going up.
IDK... just a random guess //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
I would consider this a possibility, but it wouldn't make any sense that the speaker would play with more power on it, but would crap out with lesser volume when it would be "cooler" and thus lower resistance. Not to mention, they started this **** on a relatively low volume song and why wouldn't both speakers receiving the same signal do it?

Just saying...

God I hope it's not my head unit or I'll be out of $450 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.