storing a car for 6 months

99grandprixGT
5,000+ posts

now got an 04 grand prix
home
so what you guys do for storing a car? i heard, fill up with gas, put some fuel stabilizer and change oil before. what you guys think. and only reason im storing it is cuz its not registered and needs a plate. its going to be in a garage and i do got a car cover.

When I store my Caprice, I change the oil beforehand and get at least a half tank of gas. I haven't used fuel stabilizer the 4 winters I stored it.

EDIT: I also start it up once every other week and let it run for about 15 minutes to warm up.

as little gas as possible in it, change the oil afterwards when you start it again, disconnect the battery.
ive heard better to fill then leave empty space for air to get it.

When I store my Caprice, I change the oil beforehand and get at least a half tank of gas. I haven't used fuel stabilizer the 4 winters I stored it.
EDIT: I also start it up once every other week and let it run for about 15 minutes to warm up.
ya im going to change the oil next weekend. wash it and wax it. and fill the tank.i guess i can start it up once a week or something.

as little gas as possible in it, change the oil afterwards when you start it again, disconnect the battery.
No on the gas comment.. battery is ok.. depends

this start it up every once in a while.. hell back it down the drive way then back up and park it let it idle.. for a bit you are done..

Ummm what the hell do you store?

Be sure to fill your gas tank all the way to the top. This will save your fuel system from oxidation and will also displace any water that may currently be in the system. Be sure to add the fuel system stabilizer at the same time - following the directions (which usually includes driving the car for 20 min. after)

And put a battery tender on it

Be sure to fill your gas tank all the way to the top. This will save your fuel system from oxidation and will also displace any water that may currently be in the system. Be sure to add the fuel system stabilizer at the same time - following the directions (which usually includes driving the car for 20 min. after)

You hit it right on the head. ^^^^^

when you go to restart it you put new gas in it....

this way if you store a car for along time you have less varnished gas. i didnt see he was storing it for a short period of time...

I personally store cars with little gas but not to save the car but my wallet for when I have to get rid of all the bad gas and fill with new stuff... If possible def start it and let it fully warm up once every 1-2 weeks, drive up and down the driveway a bit to in order to get the tranny/axle fluids moving... I leave the batt connected in order to run it...

when you go to restart it you put new gas in it....this way if you store a car for along time you have less varnished gas. i didnt see he was storing it for a short period of time...
ya its only going to be for like 5-6 months. the sta-bil says its good for 12 months. so im going to put some of that in there.

I guess I'm going to put more gas in my car and then add the Sta-bil to it as well then. I'm glad I read this thread. Another reason to move it around a little, other than getting the axle and trans fluids moving, would be to prevent flat spots in the tires. When I got my old S-10 a couple of years ago, it had flat spots in the tires from sitting for so long. It had numerous other problems as well, some may have been from sitting, some may not have been. Sh*t dry rots if you don't start it up.

ya im going to start this weekend, change oil first, top off coolant. clean inside, wash outisde if i got time. than cover it up.

Fill with gas and stabil, change oil, put battery tender on or remove battery, put towel in the end of the intake pipe "make a note to remove before starting again" also one in the tail pipe.

Pretty much what RIO said. I use about 6oz of Sta-bil to a full tank and make sure it has clean oil in it. My truck has been sitting for about 8 months now and starts up every other week and runs like a dream. Next summer when I will start driving it, I will change the oil and check all fluids prior to daily driving it again, recharge all my batteries and fill up the airbags.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.