Stock wiring + New wiring (speakers)

Participant count
  • Participant list

wildebeest

Oregon
I have a 1992 honda accord and I'm wiring comps to the front doors. I managed to squeeze the crossover in the door, so to save on wiring, it would be really nice to splice into the stock speaker wiring to the door and avoid the molex nightmare. I was wondering if there's any performance concern.

--15feet of 16ga wire from amp (150W x 2) for each side

--Linked to the stock wiring behind the radio with butt connectors (I'd guess 20ga?)

--20ga from the crossover to the components

Are there any things to worry about here?

wiring.jpg

If your going to add an amp, you'll need to run new speaker wire. You could just use the factory wiring but it may be to small for the power the amp is putting out. I understand not wanting to deal with the Molex, but if you want it done right do it right.

I didnt feel like running new wires through the door rubber thingy when I had to run new wire, so I just spliced into the old wire. Its been working fine for me since.

you really should go with 16 gauge all the way. (14 gauge is optimal for power levels over 100 watts per channel) especially over a longer run like speaker wires.

you're losing roughly 30% power which will mostly show up in your lower end. 20 gauge has a 8 amp capacity while 16 has a 20 amp capacity over a short run (these values get smaller over distances of 4+ feet) I understand it's a pita to get wires through the doors, but in the long run your ears will thank you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.