Stock electronics for 2K RMS?

Participant count
  • Participants list

Idkaname

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi everyone, I’m going to be getting my first car soon (probably a 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe)

and im curious if I could run a 2000w RMS amp with the stock alternator, I believe it’s 150A. It would be powering two American Bass XR12 subs. Would putting in a better battery and lower gauge wire be fine? Thanks

It's borderline. It'll depend on the efficiency of the amp and how much current it's drawing. A bigger battery and the big three with 0 guage will help. If your bumping full tilt at night with the lights on and ac blowing then I can just about guarantee decent dimming. I ran a 1500 watt amp on half that size alt once. Was fine for short burst but would literally kill the car if I had to many accessories on and banging full tilt for to long.

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s what I thought, thanks. I don’t think I’d be playing at full tilt for long periods. I figured the big 3 would be required. Thanks again

Alright, thanks. Haven’t decided what amp to get but trying to keep it budget since it will be going in my first car. Would be either 2 or 1ohm

I have a '97 myself and the stock wiring was 2 gauge. Changed it to 1/0 gauge and a better battery. I would wait until you actually get the vehicle 1st before making some decisions and deciding factors. Typically stock SUV electrical is good for anywhere between 15-1800 watts. I would say anything above 2k and you might see some voltage drop. I would look into a HO alt if it comes to that point.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.