Still clipping & more movement of 1 sub

Number 1 cause of amp death is vibration damage and then low voltage. And strapping amps or gain matching both svcks. I would sell and get 1 big amp.
Was going to say the same. Sell them and just get 1 amp. And mount the new amp somewhere besides the box

Don't a lot of people using them do arpund 1500W on them? Heard many say they will handle 2000, too. And whys it bad for the mounting amps on the box?
8be4284fb7ad030ebe939755e295b9e0.jpg
People say all kinds of things on the internet, but I would be willing to bet that a 50hz sine wave of 1500W clamped power will hurt one of those subs in under five minutes.

Vibration from the box is very bad for printed circuit boards. It is indeed a leading cause of amplifier death.

Can you attempt to hook both subs to one amp (in series so you don't hurt anything) and see if they don't move the same distance? If they still are lopsided you'll know there's a problem with your gains. I would suggest using Y splitter between the HU and both amps and setting gains with a DMM should be pretty accurate.

In what way is the Y connector used for both amps and when setting the gains for each amp, how is the Y rca splitter used ? I have 2 splitters . one single in - 2 out. Even after the gains set the signal voltage is dropped from the split.

Using 2 dmm's connected to each amp same time is the only way no? Setting them individually one at a time gets the voltage drop when both amps are connected (sharing one sub preout.)

I'm gonna throw both on eBay like now. I set both gains individually, used 2 splitters one for red and the other for white, volume 31, max sub level on HU on 50Hz over Bluetooth. Noticed cleaner and fuller bass just not enough slam without clipping that's fosure!

I'm gonna throw both on eBay like now. I set both gains individually, used 2 splitters one for red and the other for white, volume 31, max sub level on HU on 50Hz over Bluetooth. Noticed cleaner and fuller bass just not enough slam without clipping that's fosure!
Might as well look for a 3-4k amp. After rise, clamped power output is normally not that high. It will require some electrical upgrades though.

i agree a splitter is the right way to handle this setup, to guarantee both amps see the same signal. when gain matching with a DMM, the signal doesn't need to be high - you just want both amp outputs to be equal, within 0.01VAC. I'd rely on a CD for test tones, I don't trust BT for a clean, consistent signal.

Might as well look for a 3-4k amp. After rise, clamped power output is normally not that high. It will require some electrical upgrades though.
The gains should be set one at a time? Sub's disconnected? Isn't it better to use 2 multimeters matching gains same time?

Although one meter may be off then the other but, it does look like the preout voltage drops after the second amp is connected. I've heard splitting the signal does not split the voltage ? My 49V.AC is lowered once I connect the second amp.

i agree a splitter is the right way to handle this setup, to guarantee both amps see the same signal. when gain matching with a DMM, the signal doesn't need to be high - you just want both amp outputs to be equal, within 0.01VAC. I'd rely on a CD for test tones, I don't trust BT for a clean, consistent signal.

I use one DMM, and play a constant tone and bounce between the two amps. Voltage is the same with a splitter but the input impedance seen by the HU is halved and voltage gain between HU and amp is halved. Just adjust amp gains to compensate.

To the same 49 volts for each amp, correct? Can you clarify what you mean by adjusting to compensate? This is my first time doing this. If I have both amps connected to the signal with a splitter and I'm using one DMM to each amp until both are even, I will need to raise the gains at the amps higher than my calculated 49volts?

Update - since I've been struggling to pin down to fix the hot cone easy to clip problem I've been having when ever I turn it up whether it volume or sub level volume below head unit clipping I've finally got it as good as it may be, for now.

I've plywood the roof, even used what was left of the sheet of ply to make panels for the rear sides (cargo van) and cut some thick foam I had from packaging materials, going to stuff it with great stuff foam tomorrow. I haven't yet stuffed the roof yet.

Tried a different option for setting the dual amp gains. Instead of setting with x'over at 70-80Hz, I used 200Hz @ 50.9 volts each amp since I have one of the birth sheets rated for 1284 on one amp. Volume 31/35 bass 0db, sub-level 10/10.

Also pushed the box further 5-6" from rear. Using 200Hz x'over set the gains lower at around 30-35 Volts. Using the bass level on the Kenwood ddx771 and this shid is BANGING WITH NO MORE CLIPPING!! Okay maybe I am clipping since I've been playing decaf at 31-32 head unit volume, varying the bass in different tracks around 0 - 5 level. Sounds 200% better louder cleaner tighter and the cones stay cool. Can even notice the in-sync moving of both subs and not working against each other. They hardly move now the clipped signal I was pushing them before. I'll post pics in a min.

Thanks again to the ones who talked about the phasing/rca jack Y-adapter,.... The cx1200.1's are not to shabby, actually, clean signal.

3982ee9927d20862a68579a2f5c86189.jpg

K
b4ff026802e3327616988fb5489572df.jpg

cc8380e0a71a87b83f52ab0f7470336c.jpg

51a4633df51c228061e41d19d59a4d50.jpg

d0f9cf82f9b38d07ccc509fc4bb7033b.jpg
b2f688590920c814b358149afa94ae5d.jpg

ac21b8de4f668b53fb5a62a845efed91.jpg
2ff1f8b475e6f8f5e03d9ed5a1d680fd.jpg

15b0af86f812a97b3273543f1c415273.jpg

35eba3c6181dc28b4be5468c3d3c0a65.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like peanut butter lol

I had the same issue long time ago. One sub was moving more than the other. It wasn't an out of phase issue. It may have been the amp at the time....o/s MTX 2300

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.