Iphone killed my rear speakers. I replaced speakers and they still sound blown.

Participant count
  • Participants list

MarkJohnson

OK, I have a long story. Please bear with me.

I have a 2011 Camry Hybrid that came stock with the JBL sound system. In 2015 I bought it used. I replaced the whole sound system as the front window tweeters blew out when I bought the car in 2015.

I had them take my old system from my old car and put it in the Camry. They installed my 4-way amp under the passenger seat. JLAudio 300/4 I bought used in mid-2009. The audio store fried the amp when one of the new workers ran the wiring across, and underneat the back seat and it shorted out the amp. I was sewnt a replacement and it is working fine until last week or two.

What happened to me, was I have a new iphone and it was working great with carplay. But when I disconnected the iphone, the Kenwood reciever kicked in the generic wifi player, but the audio was seemingly at half power. So, I cranked it up to full volume. The next day, I switch the wifi player to radio and forgot it was at full blast and I turned it down quickly. When I turned it back up I could hear high pitched distortion.

I then went to the fader and the rear speakers tweeters seemed blown and hissing badly. I went to the audio store and purchased an identical set of speaker to replace them (Pioneer TS-D69F @ 110 watts RMS Class D)

After my cousin finished mounting them in the decklid, he said to test them before reassembling everything. It had the exact same sound issues again. The tweeter sounded terrible, maybe even worse.

What could have caused this distortion? I also noticed the audio store installed these weird, what looked like an office intercom wire harness with like 8 wires in them. They were tiny, like a telephone wire tiny. They were doubled up with one for each of the front and read speakers. So each speaker had two tiny speaker wires together for each speaker.

I found out from the audio store, that I had a separate audio volume for the wifi sound volume, but it worked off the iphone's volume up and down. Like when the music gets one volume, then the ringer gets another volume, so now I have a wifi volume as well, depending on which app I'm using on my iphone. I guess it makes sense. It just didn't occur to me at the time.

I'm sorry for such a long post, but this is the most bizarre thing to happen to me in a long time.

Some of my guesses are the fine wires must have shorted out or overheated and may be having poor contact and causing the hissing sounds? maybe the amp blew a cap or something and it's causing the hiss?

But the front speakers are fine, so I put the fader to the front speakers so I can listen to my music.

Again, I'm sorry for the long post, I am hoping it is a simple fix so I don't have to have my car in the shop for days or weeks.

OK, I just took some of my good speaker wire, removed my passenger seat, connected one of my new speakers to the rear channel on the left and it was clear. I then put it on the ;left channel and it still sounds horrible.

So it seems it is a bad amplifier. It was from mid 2000s, so I got my money's worth from it.

Now, I need a new AMP for my set of 4 Pioneer TS-D69F (6X9) speakers.

Any suggestions? Or just go Pioneer class D AMP? They have a Class D and a Class DF four channel AMP.

So it seems it is a bad amplifier. It was from mid 2000s, so I got my money's worth from it.
Before you remove the amp, swap the front RCAs with the rear ones on the amp and repeat the test.
Any suggestions? Or just go Pioneer class D AMP? They have a Class D and a Class DF four channel AMP
Many guys here use the Pioneer amps and love them. Audio Legion has great prices on their amps. Would not hurt to give them a visit.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...