Stiff Cap

Caps only help the electrical system at times of taxing bass notes that only last a short duration. Dimming headlights is usually the reason people install them in the first place but the car's electrical system has to be up to par with your audio system before you even think about getting one. A cap can worsen an already weak system. Measure the total current drain on your system from headlights, A/C, etc. and then add up all the fuses on your amp. If the total draw is close to or greater than your altenator, you might think twice about getting one and instead, focus on your charging system.

A lot of other people can explain it better but I think I touched on the basics. I run a 120A stock altenator so I don't have to worry about it for awhile.:p

hmm, well i need some advice then. I have about 500 watt rms running through my car now and it dims when blastin a little. I own a 95 mustang, and i dont know how big my alt is.

Im upgrading soon to 1300 RMS, and i believe i will need to do some power upgrades... what would be the best choice? Cap or battery?

There are a few people on here who know the size of your alternator, I don't. My personal preference for upgrading would be: alternator, alternator wiring, battery, cap. You have to start at the source of the problem if you want to remedy it. A cap and a new battery would be like band-aids for an artery wound.

The price difference between rewinding(hope I conjugated that right) an alternator and buying a good cap shouldn't be too enormus.

The idea behind a cap isn't to neccisarilly (spelling?) to improve sound. Though often it will. A cap's job is to put less strain on the alternator and the electrical system in the vehicle. Just add a cap, you'll be fine.

Jayls5

I looked up your cars stock alt. it is any where between 100A to 1300A depeneding on the motor and acc. u have. I know if you plan on going to "1.3Kw of power" you are looking at a 1300/12= 108A draw . Now if you don't replace some part of your electrical system u will spend $50 -100 every year or less rebuilding your alt.(rectifiers/regulators) Now 1300W is alot of power so weather or not it is a really rating in a question. But if you have any light dimming problems right now going to a bigger amp isn't going to solve your problem. Spend the money on the source not some bandaid solution.

Originally posted by Plater Jayls5

I looked up your cars stock alt. it is any where between 100A to 1300A depeneding on the motor and acc. u have. I know if you plan on going to "1.3Kw of power" you are looking at a 1300/12= 108A draw . Now if you don't replace some part of your electrical system u will spend $50 -100 every year or less rebuilding your alt.(rectifiers/regulators) Now 1300W is alot of power so weather or not it is a really rating in a question. But if you have any light dimming problems right now going to a bigger amp isn't going to solve your problem. Spend the money on the source not some bandaid solution.
the answer is simply a cap is needed---it will be fine

Originally posted by Plater Jayls5

Who said getting my bigger amp would fix things? I was just saying that i was worried because im upgrading from what already caused my car to dim. I want to win a competition or 2

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.