Jbl 600.1 Help!!

chevy808
10+ year member

Hi
I have a 600.1 hooked up to a dual 4 ohm Type -r, after I installed my eq the green light on the amp turns on and there is no sound coming out. This indicates an overheating problem but I just started up my car so I don't think it could be overheating. The only things I touched that goes to the amp is the power wire, which I connected to a power distribution block, and the rca inputs, which now go through the eq. I disconnected the negative terminal of the battery the whole time I worked on it. Has anyone ever seen this problem before? Anything input would be helpful! Thanks

Originally posted by chevy808 I have a 600.1 hooked up to a dual 4 ohm Type -r, after I installed my eq the green light on the amp turns on and there is no sound coming out. This indicates an overheating problem but I just started up my car so I don't think it could be overheating. The only things I touched that goes to the amp is the power wire, which I connected to a power distribution block, and the rca inputs, which now go through the eq. I disconnected the negative terminal of the battery the whole time I worked on it. Has anyone ever seen this problem before? Anything input would be helpful! Thanks
red lights are normally used for a fault light[protect light]----antway you seen to think it is in protect though--- remove the speaker wires[load] from the amp and restart the amp---- does it go into protect again??? if so check power-ground-remote & fuses ON the amp with a volt meter. Are they ok? if so the amp is damaged

Even with the speaker wires disconnected the the green light is still on. It check the speaker on another amp and its fine. I even tried running a new power wire ad its fine. Jeff you said that the green light is always on, on your amp? I never really took notice if it was on before but in the manual it says that it could mean overheating. When I leave the car on but turn off the head unit the power indicater turns off too so I think the remote wire is ok. Im gonna go buy a volt meter and check it out. Oh and the fuses are ok too. Thanks for all the input! Let me know if you guys think of anything else.

Originally posted by chevy808 Even with the speaker wires disconnected the the green light is still on. It check the speaker on another amp and its fine. I even tried running a new power wire ad its fine. Jeff you said that the green light is always on, on your amp? I never really took notice if it was on before but in the manual it says that it could mean overheating. When I leave the car on but turn off the head unit the power indicater turns off too so I think the remote wire is ok. Im gonna go buy a volt meter and check it out. Oh and the fuses are ok too. Thanks for all the input! Let me know if you guys think of anything else.
it isn't the power light????? i think it is

O.K., I just checked both of my JBL amps to make sure. As you turn on the key the red light first comes on, then fades away as the green light comes on. The green light stays on untill power is cut off. I guess it is warming up while the red light is on. In my manual, as yours probably does, it states: No Audio (Green power LED is lit)...Amplifier overheated...Make sure amplifier cooling isn't prevented by mounting location, make sure speaker-system impedance is within limits (see specifications). I can't see overheating as being the culpret. Do you have an in-line fuse on your power wire? If so it could be blown. I have seen before on a different brand amp where the power led was lit but no sound. All connections and fuses on the amp were good. Turns out the in-line fuse was blown.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

As it turns out I thinks its a problem with the eq! I dont know why I never thought of that. But thanks for all the help in narrowing down the problem.

Nice to know that my JBL isn't the only one that the red light comes on first and then goes off after a few seconds. Is this really some sort of warming up thing? Sometimes when my truck has been sitting for a while(overnight) it takes a minute or two before the amp starts putting out power to the subs. After that minute or so the red light cuts off and I'm boomin again. Is this a local problem to me or do other's amps do this too? I noticed sometimes while the red light is on my voltage on the dash thing goes down or moves a bit. Maybe it ***** some voltage to power up? Should I get a cap? My lights dim a little bit but not hardly noticeably.

Originally posted by F150Matt Nice to know that my JBL isn't the only one that the red light comes on first and then goes off after a few seconds. Is this really some sort of warming up thing? Sometimes when my truck has been sitting for a while(overnight) it takes a minute or two before the amp starts putting out power to the subs. After that minute or so the red light cuts off and I'm boomin again. Is this a local problem to me or do other's amps do this too? I noticed sometimes while the red light is on my voltage on the dash thing goes down or moves a bit. Maybe it ***** some voltage to power up? Should I get a cap? My lights dim a little bit but not hardly noticeably.
yea your fine---cap is for the amp not the lights------helps with peak current draw

I think a delay is normal. As I start my truck it takes a few seconds for the 80.4 to come one then a few more for the 600.1 to turn on. No more than 5 seconds total though.

dang mine takes up to 3 or 4 mins sometimes for the 1200 to cut on. Its weird...like it can't get enough voltage for the first minute or two...it does start working though after a couple mins so I'm not complaining. It slams my two L7's.

Does your red light come on immediately after you turn on the key? Thats odd that it would take that long. You may want to get a volt meter and while someone turns the radio or ignition on, see how long it takes to get voltage to the positive and remote terminals of your amp. Maybe your headunit has some sort of delay in the turn on wire.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Yea as soon as I crank up the amp turns on and both the red and green lights are on. Then a few seconds if I have ran the truck recently or a few mins if its been sittin a few hours the red light clicks off the green light stays on, the subs make sound but dont really hit for a sec or two then they kick in and start boomin. I dont think its voice coils on the subs because they push in and out just fine with no friction. What do you think it is?

AS i'm sure most of you know, amplifiers are full of capacitors. This delay in turning on may be just the amp charging these caps up. The longer delay in cold weather would be caused by the electrolite in the caps also being cold, and less able to charge.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.