Starting to collect equipment...

Beentown

Senior VIP Member
Going to be getting a new Suburban. Wanted to get your opinions on sub setup. If you had the space for the correct box which setup would you go with?

1500-2000 watt amp with:

2 SA 15's

Or

1 SA X-15

Which setup and why?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Theoretically which should be louder? Any real difference in SQ?

I like the idea of dual subs but I have never owned a really high excursion sub. All my other vehicles have 2-10's in them with 500 to a 1000 watts running them.

Back when I used to compete I used multiple efficient subs with lower wattage. Subs being able to take multiple thousands of watts is something I haven't experienced.

I’ve had sa series and x series. And since you asked why instead of just saying two sa 15s heres my take. In a proper box the sa will get just as low as a x(pretty dang close anyways) and yes a x can play higher notes. It’s not a low end only monster but it does business under 35hz. I can personally tell you unless your throwing a real 2k rms to the x 15 it’s a waste of your money. The two sa 15s in 8-9 cubes on your power with a 10” aero port tuned to taste would sound really good on your power. Please do not think a high excursion sub is some spl db gaining unicorn. The sa has 19mm Xmax one way and the x has 30mm one way. On your power you’d be lucky to get the x to 19mm each way. Go with the sa 15s. If yard sale ever opened again that’s where I’d buy. I miss yard sale and wasting money I don’t need to spend:crying:

Thanks all. I assumed the 2-15's would be louder but without ever owning a SPL sub other than the "Mule" back in the day I thought I would ask.

Just happened across some old pics of my loudest rig.

6 Soundstream Rubicon Subs (ran Mules and other Soundstream subs and the Rubicon were the loudest in my particular set up)

2 Soundstream 10.2 amps

Rubicon 4 channel powering Soundstream SPL components.

I ran all Xtant until I ended up sponsored by my local shop and Soundtream. Wish I had pics handy of the inside of the box and other amp racks/wiring.

423be2c521dd2c25a4235ac335e07525.jpg
1055c0f2ca358cc0bf99515177cbf7ce.jpg
b65b9f9925d78de372ed0bbef1d0d909.jpg

Couple other builds from back then...if you guys wanna see more I may be able to dig them up.

First "real" system I did. RF 15's in a different Probe GT.

ef09d5c5cdf03b00deca1a50539ef5c2.jpg
58eebb35382525e405eaa4cc29ca0ffc.jpg

The 2 sa15 will likely be louder
Unless you fail utterly and completely at box building the 2 SA 15s will be far louder than the single X 15.

Please do not think a high excursion sub is some spl db gaining unicorn.
Every one I can think of is the exact opposite in fact. There's almost no practical application for most of those except for showing off to your buddies "how much flex" you get when playing them below tuning.

Thanks all. I assumed the 2-15's would be louder but without ever owning a SPL sub other than the "Mule" back in the day
The X is absolutely NOT an SPL sub by any stretch of the word. Really I'd consider the SA series a far better SPL sub than the X. If you like Sundown and want proper SPL application you're looking into the Z (with the SPL softparts) and even then you'll be hard pressed to get one louder than the pair of SA assuming you're not limited on space.

Unless you fail utterly and completely at box building the 2 SA 15s will be far louder than the single X 15.

Every one I can think of is the exact opposite in fact. There's almost no practical application for most of those except for showing off to your buddies "how much flex" you get when playing them below tuning.

The X is absolutely NOT an SPL sub by any stretch of the word. Really I'd consider the SA series a far better SPL sub than the X. If you like Sundown and want proper SPL application you're looking into the Z (with the SPL softparts) and even then you'll be hard pressed to get one louder than the pair of SA assuming you're not limited on space.
Not space limited within the parameters being discussed.

I like the old school pics. Post more
I'll see what I can dig up. Found this one on my Photobucket. We were competing at Finals in KC and someone was apparently pissed at this dude or just being punk kids....pulled almost all of his RCA's. It was a mess.
71ce1f8dc59a501a0c1e98d4300fbf12.jpg

Some more of the guys I was competing against (none of these were my vehicles).

ce0f6f2a60ffd062c38406ac71caf73b.jpg
e15def7c92dd3cc84be3e8ea6a9b9425.jpg

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 PM ----------

Sorry about the quality but these are pics of pics from 1997.

Here is the inside pic from the "Bump" sign truck. Same subs as mine but wedged. He and I ran pretty close to the same SPL.

d041750c8622b9792971395572d92780.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.