Starting fresh need recommendations

Participant count
  • Participant list

kinukyasha

CarAudio.com Newbie
illinois
So I am looking for recommendations I had a Setup in my van with 2 jl audio12s and my head unit went out I ended up putting the head unit I had originally bought to start put temporary use but it burnt my subs and am now looking for recommendations as I just want to start over my brother suggested these 80 dollar boss audio subs and the audio store suggested their 150 Memphis audios I have an 05 grand caravan with infinity package I would like to completely redo my sound system as it's kinda of pieced together have herts speakers in dash have hearts and I think kenwood in my door and skar 65c in my rear I want to start completely over would like recommendations on any head unit preferably touch screen and any set of high and mids with amp or single sets of speakers and then sets of subs recommended size and brand I want spl and sql and to be loud as for wattage anywhere 1500-3000 basically deck my whole car out any questions please post and sry about rambling kinda new to this

What is your maxed budget? Are you willing to do the work yourself? Do you have access to tools such as drills maybe a skill saw ect?

id say around 1.5k but could go slightly higher if it would be say like a $50 dollar difference(on a few items or every item) to make a big improvement. preferably cost efficient but if it gets a little high priced thats ok plan on buying peice by piece before installing anything i am willing to do the work myself and i have tools

What is your maxed budget? Are you willing to do the work yourself? Do you have access to tools such as drills maybe a skill saw ect?
on the build i have right now that is pieced together i have spent almost 2k if not more and i am willing to pay what ever it takes to get a decent uniform set of quality sounding system that can be heard from like a block away the system i have thts broken worked sort of but was very thrown together and i was very inexperienced i plan on seeking professional help when installing well more with the tuning and box making for my car but i wanted more options then just what they sell at the store

i feel like i paid alot for brand when there is better bang for my buck if u get what i mean and i also had no idea what i was doing other then how to hook it up when i started so everything is very pieced together i dont know if the ohms match ik wattages dont match i was just very inexperience and would like help buying this time before wasting my money

Id start with the Source. Find a good HU that meets your needs and budget willing to pay for. Kenwoods are some my favorite budget HUs/Head Units. they bought out JVC so same Co. now. Sony has been stepping it up last couple years and you are able find some really nice units for the $. id look for 3 sets of RCAs from 4v on up, High and Low pass filtering, and EQ settings are a plus. Features and needs are up to you.Sonic Electronix and Crutchfield will usually add a Dash kit and wiring harness and if needed FM antenna adapter if needed for free or very little $.Browse and find your HU first.

id say around 1.5k but could go slightly higher if it would be say like a $50 dollar difference(on a few items or every item) to make a big improvement. preferably cost efficient but if it gets a little high priced thats ok plan on buying peice by piece before installing anything i am willing to do the work myself and i have tools
Get all model #s of the speakers you have and Brand. Id use as much of what you have now.An amplifier and door treatment may be all you need to get what you have to serve well.

i feel like i paid alot for brand when there is better bang for my buck if u get what i mean and i also had no idea what i was doing other then how to hook it up when i started so everything is very pieced together i dont know if the ohms match ik wattages dont match i was just very inexperience and would like help buying this time before wasting my money
Hertz are really nice speakers. Id pull them and see what model they are to see what the RMS wattage they are, and the others you have.You can save some $ there and use them, or If you decide to replace with another brand or another speaker to handle more wattage or better frequency response even.

Are you still willing to give up the room for a pair of 12s and approx up to 5 cu ft of space? Or a pair of heavy 10s? What kind of music do you mainly listen too?

Ok every speaker i had and its spot in car (note no amp for any speakers in front):
Hertz x 130 in the dash 5.25"
in doors pioneer ts-500m coaxial
in doors hertz dieci dsk 165.3 6.5 series component
skar spx 65c in rear
two jl audio 12s (burnt seen smoke rolling out thought it was gonna catch fire in my car)
1 skar zvx 15 (possibly still works wasnt smoking not sure havent had time to look at either of the subs) had them hooked up to a skar rp1500.1 they were all running fine on my excelon kenwood 305 but it gave miswiring error took it down to just yellow red and black wires was still giving error so it burnt up and thts y i put back in the original radio i got from oriellys but to point out i was using a ssl 1200 watt ab mono block full range amp with just the 12's when i originally was running this radio had no issues but didnt hit as hard as when i added the 15 and the new amp plus head unit

2 12's didnt hit as hard as i would like as i have a van and alot of space now tht could have been a number of things from either an incorrect box just bought a 2 speaker ported box could have been the tuning but i normally was pushing high on gain but not very good with the tuning part yet to begin with but when i would try to "turn it up" wasnt getting results i liked once again could have been inexperienced user error
now i have a question ive heard speaker surface can beat number of speakers i want loud and quality sound whether tht means 2 or 4 speakers or more i just know with the2 12's and the 15 i was able to shake my entire car and then some and was told to turn it down at important places so what im saying is it either felt louder or was actuallly louder with the 15 the guy at the shop told me he could get me the same sound for less with 4 12's instead so my question is really try to explain this to me so i understand a little better please will help me give a more educated answer as for subs

very inexperience when it comes to fine tuning this stuff so very much any of this could be user error but i normal run things as high as i could without trying to "clip" but not experienced so no clue if i passed clipping point some times or not

oh and music anything from rock to rap and country (mainly late 90's early 2000's hip hop and 90's alternative) (classic rock as in metallica and iron madien etc...) (older classic music like the temptations george clinton etc..)(country not really but i do occasionally listen to early 2000's) (i have a wide variety from all genres but as for newer music mostly rap/hiphop)everything inbetween so i get not everything will sound right on a system tuned for say hard hitting bass but that could simply be fixed by turning bass down correct as the speaker will still hit hard and u will still have alot of bass in the song? or would that make it sound flat?

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...