Started first box build today

Yea it really hits the lows. I'll get a vid tomoro. I listened to it today with the trunk open and something was cracking when the bass hit a certain note. I didn't screw down the port peice, I hope it's just that and not my sub. I'm going to screw it down tomoro. And tc300, no wood glue, I used liquid nails in between everything. It doesnt seem to have hardened too much, which I read was a good thing. I guess we will see...thank you to everyone that has helped me along the way. I've learned so much here. Even tho I still have kicker subs, I think I've came a long way since my first pos bass inferno amp and 10" quantum audio subs when I first found this site
Check if your box is flexing anywhere, might need some bracing, Did you do 1 layer baffle or two? If its one, then you definitely need bracing. Add some wooden dowels or all thread.

Titebond II is whats needed for sub enclosures, its necessary since it makes a bond stronger than wood itself. Screws will slip out of place from vibration from the bass.

you have to let the silicone dry completely or else the vapors will eat at the sub's surround.
Check if your box is flexing anywhere, might need some bracing, Did you do 1 layer baffle or two? If its one, then you definitely need bracing. Add some wooden dowels or all thread.
Dammit. I don't think I let it dry long enough. Is the baffle the front peice of the box the subs go into? If so I only have one. What are dowels and all thread?

Dammit. I don't think I let it dry long enough. Is the baffle the front peice of the box the subs go into? If so I only have one. What are dowels and all thread?
Yes baffle is where you have the subs mounted.

Pretty sure the cracking is from weak structural integrity. Even if it is kicker, two 15s always need a double baffle or some form of bracing

Here's what dowels look like.

bracing.jpg

I'd take it apart and do another baffle and wood glue it (needed) then screw it back on and use liquid nails to caulk and seal the inside seams, its bond is a lot weaker vs wood glue.

A box that big u deff need some bracing to stop flex. And Titebond2 wood glue is pretty much the most important part. It's gunna keep te box together. My last wall after removing the screw we couldn't even beat the glue joints loose with a sledgehammer. The wood would break before the glue joint.

Titebond II is whats needed for sub enclosures, its necessary since it makes a bond stronger than wood itself. Screws will slip out of place from vibration from the bass.
Here's a vid if anyone knows what this sound might be, I didn't turn the volume louder tha I do with the old box....might be my trunk. Idk

Thats the baffle flexing man. I could totally see the friggen thing flexing apart lol. As said before, I stand by that advice because thats exactly whats happening in the video.
Cool thank you. Should I add another baffle on the inside? Or dowels?

Should I take the whole box apart and put wood glue in between each peice?
yup. Add plenty of bracing wherever you feel is needed, as in any open flat and unsupported space. A stronger box = longer lasting and louder bass. This might raise your tuning a hertz or two, it shouldnt be a problem at all vs the gains you will get from a stronger box..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.