SSA GCON Enclosure Help

agcelica

NW
Hey guys, so after alot of though and reading i settled on the SSA GCON since the ICON was just out of budget. I am modeling the sub in winisd and i am trying to decide between a ported 10" or a sealed 12". I do not believe that I will have enough room to port the 12 since this will all be going in the hatch of a celica. The 12" has modeled very good sealed at 1.5 ft^3. But i am having trouble with the ported 10. Right now I have it at about 1.5 ft^3 at about 26hz for a flat response to about 28hz and an f3 at 23hz. Excursion looks good except I am having trouble with group delay and port velocity. If anybody has any recommendations or has run an enclosure for the 10" any input is appreciated. I listen to mostly country, hard rock, and classic rock so i am biased toward the sealed but everybody on here recommends ported so i figured i should give it a shot.

Thanks guys

well to be honest i only run ported boxes when i have alot of room but im not saying it wont work, on this website theres alot of people with different inputs and stuff but i must say i a toyota celica hatchback will sound good with a medium-large sealed box. u can run a ported box if you want but the sealed box will be slightly better, the sealed box will ALSO have that deep boomy bass. id make the sealed box a little bigger because ported boxes under 3-3.5 subes dont sound right alot of time , if ur gunna make a ported box make the sub and port face backward and tune the box to 28-29 hertz and it will sound good. nobody online like sealed boxes because they think they (( dont reproduce the low sounding bass)) which is complete ******** because the bass of a sealed box depends on the shape and how large it is. make sure ur sealed box has alot of DEPTH to it , work on depth then u wory about the other 2 because u gotta have alot of sir inside the box to cushion the speaker and to help block out the frequinces that come out the back.

lanzar optidrive ( 1232d) they love sealed boxes and get wicked loud inside them. if ur going to build a ported box make it 4.4cft tuned to 28 hertz if ur not gunna do that make the box 3cft sealed.

Yeah really depends on your space like all forums you get nut huggers galore for anything. if you truly need earth shattering loudness go ported if loud and SQ are fine go sealed if you don't have the space. I did and I find the loudness fine for my taste. I mean unless your doing DB drags how loud does it really need to be? You do need a lot of power for a proper sealed sub though as they aren't *** efficient so keep that in mind.

So it sounds like sealed is the way to go for this one.

Just for reference here is a pic of the modeling in winisd (which I know is not very precise). the green is the GCON 10 at 1.5 ft^3 tuned to 26hz, the highest port velocity is 46 m/s which I believe is too high am I correct? And the highest group delay being 36 ms.

The red is the GCON 12 sealed at 1.5 ft^3

What do you guys think of these response curves for the type of music I am aiming for?

I tried SSA's optimal ported for the 10 and it seemed a bit peaky according to winisd but I trust SSA more.

View attachment 26552539

Sonicknuckles, thanks for the tip on depth, my max depth for this one will be 15.75 inches so internal probably about 14.25 inches max. I do not think I will be able to go much over 2.5 ft^3 total for this one since I have to haul other gear in the celica usually. For right now I am pretty set on the GCON, and still trying to talk myself into saving for the ICON.

Yeah negolien that is kind of what has been pushing me to do ported, I would like to try the efficiency of a ported and since I have never heard a truly well done ported box before (only heard prefabbed ones) I figured maybe the celica might be the car to get a ported box if I can make sure it will still sound decent without overpowering the hd62's

Sonicknuckles, thanks for the tip on depth, my max depth for this one will be 15.75 inches so internal probably about 14.25 inches max. I do not think I will be able to go much over 2.5 ft^3 total for this one since I have to haul other gear in the celica usually. For right now I am pretty set on the GCON, and still trying to talk myself into saving for the ICON.Yeah negolien that is kind of what has been pushing me to do ported, I would like to try the efficiency of a ported and since I have never heard a truly well done ported box before (only heard prefabbed ones) I figured maybe the celica might be the car to get a ported box if I can make sure it will still sound decent without overpowering the hd62's
I can hook you up with a nice custom ported (or sealed). Pm me if you're interested. Very affordable.

So it sounds like sealed is the way to go for this one. Just for reference here is a pic of the modeling in winisd (which I know is not very precise). the green is the GCON 10 at 1.5 ft^3 tuned to 26hz, the highest port velocity is 46 m/s which I believe is too high am I correct? And the highest group delay being 36 ms.

The red is the GCON 12 sealed at 1.5 ft^3

What do you guys think of these response curves for the type of music I am aiming for?

I tried SSA's optimal ported for the 10 and it seemed a bit peaky according to winisd but I trust SSA more.

View attachment 26552539
Don't go with the optimal ported box, just go with regular specs with a lot of power going to it. Bigger box will make you play lower and a little slower with group delay. The optimal box brings out output and low end extension but you do lose put midbass performance. Pair with at least a korean 1k - 1.2k amp if you are only wiring to one ohm. Same power would do well in a sealed box.

So far the plan is a q1 1200d from soundqubed. Have been hearing that those are pretty decent

I feel like a hatch back is kind of a blessing and a curse. It is smaller and easier to get loud but I don't think I could ever get a ported with a response curve to my liking in the hatch since the cabin gain will wreck it.

Jeff you have a good point about midbass

My goal was just for a flat response down to 30hz for the ported box, the f3 just came out to be 23hz I didn't intend for it to be that low. And yes for music

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.