Sealed box for 04-05 RE XXX?

XaznKewLguyX
10+ year member

bloop
SoCal
Sorry but i've been trying to search this topic and it seems very debatable. Been off of the forum for a quite a while now.

What I've found is that RE recommended .8cuft for sealed, seems a bit small to me.

So I'm looking for insight on who has had/tried a 12" 04-05 xbl^2 in a sealed box. Going to be running about 1000w RMS to the sub.

Over the last 10 years this sub is supposed to be known as the W7 killer. I've had w7's in the past and I honestly loved them. Owned a lot of subs back in my days and IMO nothing has compared to the w7 in SQ and output. Found a friend that was getting rid of one, so I thought why not? It was the only sub that I've wanted to try for a long time. So i swapped out my IDMax for the XXX.

Currently the sub is in a ported box, loud yes but sq I am not happy with. Also not happy with the weight of the box so I am looking to go sealed and possibly save weight and get some of the space in my trunk back.

What do you guys think? And I know there are alot of box builders on here, who is the go to guy now-a-days?

the sealed application for the XBL^2 XXX is still fuzzy to me. I built a 3 cu ft sealed enclosure for a 15" XXX, and it sounded good, but as soon as I threw in in 4 cubes ported it really came alive. I've experimented with these drivers for years now, and I can say that the best box for you would be ported. You can go a bit on the bigger side of 2-2.5 ported.

the sealed application for the XBL^2 XXX is still fuzzy to me. I built a 3 cu ft sealed enclosure for a 15" XXX, and it sounded good, but as soon as I threw in in 4 cubes ported it really came alive. I've experimented with these drivers for years now, and I can say that the best box for you would be ported. You can go a bit on the bigger side of 2-2.5 ported.
Interesting.. I am hesitant to go any larger than the ported box right now because of weight and size. I want to try a sealed enclosure before getting rid of this beast and putting a 15" Q back in.

Just need some input on what size sealed since RE recommended .8 cuft sealed. I guess I will shoot for somewhere close to 2cuft after displacement?

Dave recommended me 2 cubes ported. So the .8-1 is probably accurate @ rated

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

what size is the ported box you have it in now?

[quote name='XaznKewLguyX']Sorry but i've been trying to search this topic and it seems very debatable. Been off of the forum for a quite a while now.

What I've found is that RE recommended .8cuft for sealed, seems a bit small to me.

So I'm looking for insight on who has had/tried a 12" 04-05 xbl^2 in a sealed box. Going to be running about 1000w RMS to the sub.

Over the last 10 years this sub is supposed to be known as the W7 killer. I've had w7's in the past and I honestly loved them. Owned a lot of subs back in my days and IMO nothing has compared to the w7 in SQ and output. Found a friend that was getting rid of one, so I thought why not? It was the only sub that I've wanted to try for a long time. So i swapped out my IDMax for the XXX.

Currently the sub is in a ported box, loud yes but sq I am not happy with. Also not happy with the weight of the box so I am looking to go sealed and possibly save weight and get some of the space in my trunk back.

What do you guys think? And I know there are alot of box builders on here, who is the go to guy now-a-days?[/QUOTE]
@CSCStang is my go to guy for custom box building as well as many people on here these days. He's local too. Message him for pics of his work. He does amazing stuff for very affordable prices.

So you said you put the XXX in a ported box. Do you know the internal volume and tuning for it? If you're looking for SQ, small sealed is NOT the way to go. Bigger boxes are more flat sounding and bring out more lows while tiny boxes are peaky and boomy, thus compromising the overall transient response . BTW if you're not happy with the excess weight, go with Birch Plywood. MUCH MUCH lighter and still very strong.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.