SQ Subwoofers

Well I'm thinking about either 3 10s on 2400rms sealed or 2 12 alpine x series on 2400rms both sealed. I want musical and hit every note
So you are not thinking a SQ type build. You are wanting an SPL set up with SQ leaning drivers.

Also how you going to power all that?

Last edited by a moderator:
We did an install with two 15" Dayton audio subs in my dad's Yukon XL running off of a PPI Black ICE amp. They were a little underpowered but they sounded great and were pretty loud. I wish we had a little bigger amp pushing them to see what they were really capable of. They were impressive to say the least. 

I will be running 2 10s or 2 12s sealed in my spare tire well. Right now looking at the Alpine R, Alpine X, and Dayton HO. One question I have if I run the Alpines on 2400RMS and the Alpine R will be in 1.7 sealed and the Alpine X will be in 1.5 sealed what are the differences I am going to notice?

The Dayton HO is an awesome sub that's very versatile and for the price you cant beat it.

I think for what you're going for the Image Dynamics IDMAX is 1 of the best subs on the market, a SQ sub that will get loud, I'm a ported box guy, always have been. I've always leaned more towards SPL, but I had a Lexus IS300 back in 2004-2008, I already had my SPL setup in my Durango but I wanted something in my Lexus, so I went with 2 sealed IDMAX 10s, best sounding subs I've ever owned.

If it were me I'd choose between IDMAX, Dayton HO and I'd throw the SSA Icon in there too.

the Alpines dont sound all that good.  theyre more for SPLish setups

i still say the W6s.  they sound REALLY good and will get pretty loud.  i have to turn my RE SE down a bit to blend good with my fronts

the IDMax is a great sub.  its RMS is actually 1,000 watts, but even off 500-750 watts, it will hit good

I had about 600-700 watts going to my IDMAXs 10s and they got loud, so yes anything between 500-1000 watts per will be just fine. I think they're a way better sub than the Alpine and IMO more comparable to a W7 than a W6, and the W6 costs more than the IDMAX does... I mean none of the subs on your list are bad, in the proper enclosure theyll all sound good, I just think for the price I'd personally choose an IDMAX over a W6 AND a W7 any day of the week... but that's just me...

And if you want to save even more $ than I think youd be very satisfied with the Dayton HO's as well...

And like I said before the new SSA Icons seem pretty promising and the ssa store was running a great sale on them where they were down to $279 which is a hell of a price.

Once again just this man's opinion but I'd list them like so.

IDMAX- Best overall sub, extremely accurate, will give you the best sound while still being able to get very loud, most exspensive.

ICON- Loudest of the 3, new design for 2018, sub can get stupid loud, but will sound good doing so.

Dayton HO- Very versatile, can perform very well in small enclosures, totally underrated sub, seems like ppl either love them to death or dont like them... I'd put them in a SQ category of subwoofer, but can get loud and low in sealed or ported applications,  best value of the bunch.

I forgot that you also mentioned the FI Q Neo, I dont know much about the Neo line, but the Q has always been a woofer when owned ppl seem to love. American made if that's important to you as well. I like to think of Fi as RE pre 2007, so if you liked/loved the original RE line of subs you prob will like/love Fi...

@Accord90 Tons of great advice in this thread so far that need to be considered. Sealed boxes are not the be all end all of SQ enclosures. I would only go sealed if I absolutely had no choice and I had plenty of power on tap that I'm willing to spend. I guarantee you a single sub ported in the right enclosure with let's say an idmax, which is one of my all time favorites growing up, will sound way nicer than dual subs sealed with same power. If you're looking for ultimate SQ, you need to look into specialty enclosures like a Transmission Line aka T-line boxes. This allows to get the most out of your sub in SQ. You'll be able to get the full spectrum of music and be able to hit any note instantly. It can keep up with fast double bass with absolutely no struggle and can hit as low as you want with no SS filter. Very balanced sound and flat for daaayyss compared to the almighty sealed box. The main downside is that it takes up your entire trunk space so you can only fit like a single 10". Doesn't require much power to get going either but can easily take all the power you can give it. The most versatile box I've ever had. Like many have said, it has less to do with the brand of sub you buy than what your overall system is gonna sound like in the end result. With that said, idmax, dayton ho, and icon for sure should be on the top of your list to consider. I owned the Fi Q before and though I really enjoyed it and was very smooth sounding, it was just too bottom heavy and was hard to blend in with certain music. Only good for rap music or slow decaf type of music. here's a pic of a T-line that I own. It's my favorite sounding box by far. 

IMG-0704.jpg
IMG-0709.jpg

What size woofer is that in the t line and what's the net volume and tuned at
That's a 10" B2 Ref. For t-lines there is no net volume. It's just straight port all the way through. Mines tuned at 28 hz. T-lines are supposed to be tuned close to the FS of the driver. With subs that have a higher FS, you can be tuned much higher than that and surprisingly hit all the lows without unloading. 

That looks like a pretty big one due to the tune... bet it digs awfully deep.

They say a higher Fs driver can still get low really well and be "Sq-ish" .

I drew-up a budget option that handles some power and is much smaller I believe...

oW8evX.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks like a pretty big one due to the tune... bet it digs awfully deep.

They say a higher Fs driver can still get low really well and be "Sq-ish" .

I drew-up a budget option that handles some power and is much smaller I believe...

Even though its tuned very high it will still dig deep into low 30s?

Also instead of going to 10s sealed on 2k RMS would I be louder going 1 12" ported on 1200rms in a nice box tuned low? Want it to get loud but have SQ

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.