SQ 1978 Camaro Build Plan Questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

Theory

Car:

1978 Z28

What do I look for in sound quality?

I look for an analytical treble with a strong mid bass, and a quick low end that doesn't veil the mid bass too much. But I will also want to be able to pound. I am not building for numbers, or how much air I can move, but probably doesn't matter much since the car wasn't built for SQ and it’s a very uncontrolled environment.

Purpose:

Building it for SQ while being able to get loud.

Prep:

Panels and pods will be made out of fiberglass

All the chassis tubing will be filled with poly-fill

All of car will have one layer of thin sound deadener probably like 80 mil

Anything that rattles will either get vibraflex or roadkill.

-Big 3 ofc

-0 guage Sky high

-SCC DIY RCAs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rear Fill:

Image Dynamics 6x9 CTX69 (stock location, maybe wedged up towards the front, current location in the read deck)

Center:

Image Dynamics 4” CTX4 (Most likely somewhere in the top of the fiberglass dash probably wedged up towards the driver and passenger)

Doors and Pods:

Image Dynamics 6.5” CXS62 V2 (pods on the pillars probably with the 6.5 in the doors)

Subs:

2-Tantric HD 10

Digital Processor:

?

Front and rear stage amp:

?

Sub amp:

Ampere 3800 (I have been told it runs over 4k so it will be at 1.4, so I will be more efficient)

Head Unit:

Pioneer 80prs maybe?

Electrical:

Random AGM G31

NSB G31

240+ amp alt

Budget:

$3500 for everything but alt, build supplies, prep, batteries, and head unit.

Only thing I am pretty sure on is the 2-tantrics hd 10s everything else I am still up for thoughts and recommendations.

All thoughts welcome.

All recommendations welcome.

I have already been recommended HLCD and I am pretty sure that isn't going to meet my preferences, but you can persuade me if you think they are worth it.

Yes I am going to do the car myself, I already know I am going to have hundred and hundreds of hours into it as this will be my first time figuring everything out.

Exterior noise is going to kill a lot of midbass detail that you said you want. Look at the bible of sound deadening for cars, SoundDeadenerShowdown.com, then after you understand the basics of different treatments we can help you find better values for products to insulate and create a noise barrier. Regardless of thickness and marketing and sales speak, sound deadener mats do not do much to block noise.

I like center and rear speakers, but for this build I would skip the center. With thoughtful speaker selection, placement and aiming you can get really good sound without a center channel. That will simplify your project, which is already going to be massive as is.

I read the SoundDeadenerShowdown.com, but I already knew that much, I have watched a few videos on what people have done to quiet their car. Since the car is going to have a ls 5.3 put into it, plus a little louder then stock exhaust for a 5.3 it will be a lot quieter, then have say a carbed sbc or bbc. There don't seem to be many if any books I can buy that tell more about how to make a car quieter.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.