Spooney's IB build log

Spooney
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Finally made the decision to go ahead with the IB build after thinking it over for a long time. The car is a 2008 Chevy Impala and the back seats do not fold down so the front of the baffle doesn't need to be pretty, just functional. Thanks to the guys over on diyma for the great info and the little push I needed to make this happen. For the most part this is just going to be a slew of pics without a lot of descriptions. Please feel free to ask any questions you like and keep in mind this is not 100% complete yet.

It all started with this piece of cardboard. Got my baffle size down with this:

Panels cut for the baffle:

Cutting out the holes for the subs:

Getting ready to laminate the layers together:

Two become one:

Checking the fit:

Test fitting the baffle in the car and a shot of my temp amp setup:

Shot of the open area on the sides of the baffle that I need to enclose to help seal the baffle to the car:

Shot showing how tight the baffle fits at the top against the rear deck:

Mock up of the side pieces I need to cut:

Side pieces cut and attached to the main baffle:

Little notch I had to sand into the baffle to fit over a funny little hump in the trunks floor :

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

More pics coming very shortly

what car is this going into? I'm guessing the subs are PG TI Elite?

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

I'm starting my IB build right now, may have to hit you up for advice lol

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

I'm an idiot LOL. Guess I should add that. Its a 2008 Chevy Impala and the seats do not fold down so the baffle won't be pretty at all up front. Just functional

Looks good man...I wished I had some extra time to do some fun stuff these days.Are you going to be deadening the entire trunk ,or??And what subs are those sir?They look a little beefy from the front

Never answered your question about the subs. They are Phoenix Gold Ti2 15's. Similar to the old pg rsdc subs but they don't sound as good lol.

I will help with any IB questions you have but this is my first shot at it. There are several guys over on diyma who are very knowledgeable on IB installs.

Looks good man...I wished I had some extra time to do some fun stuff these days.Are you going to be deadening the entire trunk ,or??And what subs are those sir?They look a little beefy from the front
Thanks sir. I have semi finished pics of it I will post shortly. This install took about two weeks and I only had two hour blocks here and there to work on it and get the seats back in the car so I could cart the kids around the next day. Its one of the more involved installs I have done and its not completely done yet. I will probably only deaden whats necessary in the trunk. Subs are Phoenix Gold Ti2 15's. They aren't my favorite but sound much better in this alignment than any other way I have used them. The subs will be swapped out but the install is staying

Last edited by a moderator:
More pics :

Baffle sanded up a bit after attaching the side pieces:

Another test fit. You can see where the little notch fits over the ridges in the trunk floor:

Here you can see I have a gap on either side of the baffle that needs to be taken care of:

Here I have a piece of wood cut to size that will bolt to the car and be attached to the sides of the baffle. Just a dry fit here:

Here you can see that I have a nice gap on the side of the baffle. The side piece will not lay right because of the little indentation in the sheet metal from the top most hole in the pic:

Quick little mod I did to get the board to lay flat. Used a 1.25" spade bit to make "slots" in the wood to get around the indentation in the sheet metal:

Here the side piece is tacked in and fitting much better:

Both sides tacked in and fitting much nicer:

Quick little shot of the 2x4 brace that will be attached to the back side of my side pieces that the baffle will eventually be screwed into:

Original center baffle brace. This ends up getting modded a bit:

Lame pic showing a hole actually drilled into the sheet metal for bolting the baffle in :

Corresponding holes drilled in the baffle :

Another test fit so I can see if all my holes line up and they do. Also here you can see the side boards are bolted in . I used butyl tape between the wood and the sheet metal to avoid any rattles:

Just a pic here showing how good of a fit I have on the sides . Baffle is only tacked in with 1 screw on each side. With just these two screws installed I can grab the baffle and shake the entire car with minimal movement of the baffle itself. :

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.