speakers not working when in reverse or drive

Participant count
  • Participant list
hi guys

i had a client come into my shop (not an audio shop) yesterday asking me if i could fix his car stereo, he explained the problem and i went to check it out , asked him to give me a few days (i was very busy yesterday) and told him that i had to do some research about his problem, and i would call him when i was ready...

so, here i am //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

he went to my shop because he knows i have a system in my truck (which i installed) i do know a few things on car audio too, but i am clueless on where to start on this one, it could be a pretty simple fix, but cant put my mind onto whats making it do that //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif . i am pretty sure i can figure it out after some time messing with it, but time is money, business was going really slow, but all of a sudden have a lot of work , so i cannot afford to loose any time

so the problem is this

with the engine on* we can listen to the stereo but only in parking and neutral, the speakers stop working on reverse and on drive

only the speakers stop, the stereo stays on and keeps on playing the cd

i am almost positive this was intentionally done, like for keeping people from listening to radio while driving

this used to be a government vehicle

if you can tell me exactly what to do would be really really great //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif hahah (feeling optimistic hhah)

if you dont know for sure what to do, any leads on what to look for would be extremely helpful too //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

any help would be aprecciated

the car is a 2004 ford excursion

thanks for your time guys //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/redface.gif.62fdbfe1a101588a808c4cff71bcb942.gif

good information. you know that it is probably the neutral safety switch that is controlling a relay that either turns off the factory amp or interrupts the speakers.

i'd start by seeing if the neutral safety wire was tapped. i don't know if you'd need to just ground that wire, or leave it open (not sure how Ford does theirs).

ideally, you'd trace the wire from there to the relay or whatever is actually interrupting the signal.

just a thought.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.