Speakers not working after brigding amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

deuceman24

jerz
Hello all,

Just today I went to bridge my 4 channel amp to give more power to my speakers (used for vocals). I have a dual amp setup (1 amp for two shallow 10s, 1 amp for four 6x9s, two 4" speakers).

I am a novice when it comes to audio, I just have general knowledge of how to hook everything up.

I recently installed the second amp for the sub, and my pal told me to bridge them for more power to the subs. After learning this, I attempted to do this to my other amp as well.

I hooked up L+ and R- on the top layer, and L- and R+ on the bottom layer of the amp. (Assuming this was correct?) When I powered on everything, only the subs were getting audio. I then attempted to press the LQ and Crossover one at each time, thats when I heard a light pop.

I reconnected everything back to my original settings, and I still didn't not obtain my audio. As I turn the car on, my vocal speakers are buzzing loudly. Could I have blown the speakers pressing the LQ/HQ button or Crossover? Could I have fried something within the amp?

I am going to disconnect one of each speaker and test on another setup, and will post the results.

All fuses were check and good.

The amp with my issue : MTX Thunder 4200x

Speakers with issue: Kenwood KFC-G6930 / Kicker DS40

Update 1: Can confirm that the speakers are not blown, or malfunctioned. Tested two on my home audio system and powers up with no signs of distortion. Now maybe the amp must of been ruined in the process of me tinkering with the buttons, or improper bridging?

Last edited by a moderator:
when bridged, the amp can only handle one pair of 4 ohm speakers. when not bridged, the amp can handle four pairs of 4 ohm speakers. the same total power is available in either configuration.

if you tried combining three pairs in parallel in bridged mode then yes, you overloaded the amp and it possibly fried.

as far as what connections to use for bridging - they are the outside two. the inside two are common ground (regardless of what is labeled + or -). the amp should be labeled if it can be bridged (which it can).

MTX Car Audio - Archive - Thunder4200x

and yes, changing switches with the amp powered can cause issues. you can rotate dials as needed with the amp powered on (assuming you don't damage speakers).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.