Speakers have to be unplugged and replugged to work (Alpine - MR2)

Participant count
  • Participant list

lista

CarAudio.com Newbie
UK
Hey all, I’ve recently installed an Alpine CDA-7846J paired with an MDA-5050, and also wired in an FM modulator. Everything was working fine yesterday (see video: ), but now everything is working fine other than my speakers. The issue I’m facing is that I have to unplug, and then re-plug in the speaker wire connector in order for them to work.

I thought this might be because my car has been sat on ignition for a little while, and may be low on battery. But I’m unsure why this would cause the speakers to still work, but only when a connection has been cut and then reestablished. My other thought is that there may be an issue because I am using two adapters, an Alpine to ISO and ISO to MR2 loom - would it be best to wire the speakers directly to the MR2 loom? Or is there (hopefully) a different quick and simple fix, because I have no idea why it’s happening🤷🏻‍♂

I had a quick google and didn’t find much, but maybe I googled badly because it’s an odd problem to put into words. I will say that my car has no amplifier, so it can’t be an amp problem.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks.

Any help is appreciated!
First things first, NICE!
The only thing that comes to mind is that a radio will protect itself by turning off it's amplifier if the speaker's impedance is too low. At boot up there may be a surge that causes this circuit to activate. If you are using OEM speakers, they may have a lower impedance than an aftermarket radio is specified for.
Try turning down the volume before restarting the radio to see if that helps.

The only thing that comes to mind is that a radio will protect itself by turning off it's amplifier if the speaker's impedance is too low. At boot up there may be a surge that causes this circuit to activate. If you are using OEM speakers, they may have a lower impedance than an aftermarket radio is specified for.
Thanks, I love it!
The speakers aren’t OEM, I only replaced them recently to Phoenix Gold Z Series, but I will definitely give that a try re turning down the volume before turning it on. Appreciate your help, almost tearing my hair out over it, such an odd problem haha! Thanks.

Do you have all of that wired into the same factory power wire? Could the draw from the head unit, and the 5050, (and the fm modulator?) be too much for those wires?
I do actually yes, so that could be it - never thought of that. I’ll try what 1aespinoza said above, and if not that, I’ll check the wiring and power draw. Thanks!

Update, I was sorting the wires out just trying to tidy a few things up, and just out of curiosity tried to play music from start up, and it worked fine - I kept trying it and it kept working fine… not sure what’s happened but I won’t complain!

Update, I was sorting the wires out just trying to tidy a few things up, and just out of curiosity tried to play music from start up, and it worked fine - I kept trying it and it kept working fine… not sure what’s happened but I won’t complain!
Awesome. Good call on firing it up while all was out. Going to assume HardofWhoring was close with a power supply issue. A harness may have been twisted and supplying enough to keep the unit running but not enough on start up.

Awesome. Good call on firing it up while all was out. Going to assume HardofWhoring was close with a power supply issue. A harness may have been twisted and supplying enough to keep the unit running but not enough on start up.
Yeah, I’m glad it’s up and running now! Nice being able to play something other than tapes haha

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...