Crackling and "farting" speakers - amp or speakers fault?

Participant count
  • Participant list

arpel

CarAudio.com Newbie
Poland
Hello, I have no experience/knowledge of car audio, but I recently bought a Golf MK5 in which two owners ago,
someone created a setup in the trunk of a JBL CS 60.4 amp + two Mac Audio Revolution X 20.3 Speakers.

The speakers in the trunk only turn on at a volume of about 30, work well up to ~45, and at anything above that, up to 63 (max on the radio) they start to "fart".

What's the most likely cause? Does that setup even make any sense? I found that the speakers have rms/peak power listed as 100/400W. Wouldn't this amp be too weak for that? Or could the problem lie somewhere else?

It may be that they act like this because they are underpowered and the push to play them louder is causing the amp to clip the signal, which will eventually blow your speakers if it hasn't already.

Play them within the amplifiers range, don't clip the amp, don't play above 44 on the dial of the head unit, and fry the speakers. Your exceeding the capabilities of the amp, not the speakers. It may be counterintuitive but trying to play speakers louder than the amp is capable of driving them at is just as detrimental as overpowering them

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...