Speakers aren't working! What should I do?

Participant count
  • Participant list

lipski24.ml
10+ year member

Wisconsin
I have a 99 Chevy blazer ls and I have had speaker problems! I know that there is a automatic volume control for how fast your going. But idk if that could be part of it? But there are two lights out on the headunit the two lights are #2 ,5 for presets. The speakers will switch around. Like I could start it up once, and one of the front door speakers will work. Then the next time I start it just one rear door speaker and the front tweeters will work. The whole car is stock so I don't know what I should do?

I have a 99 Chevy blazer ls and I have had speaker problems! I know that there is a automatic volume control for how fast your going. But idk if that could be part of it? But there are two lights out on the headunit the two lights are #2 ,5 for presets. The speakers will switch around. Like I could start it up once, and one of the front door speakers will work. Then the next time I start it just one rear door speaker and the front tweeters will work. The whole car is stock so I don't know what I should do?
Those old stock GM decks are garbage, replace it = problem solved

14 years old speakers are likely dry rotted and crumbling to pieces and head unit is likely very tired as well. Replace with aftermarket starting with head unit until everything works.

it may have an external factory amplifier. if so, the problem could be in the factory amp and not the head unit.

the cheapest solution is to find a salvage yard and swap the stock amp or head unit out. that may be a $5 solution.

i agree you want an upgrade, but that costs money. to just have it work, a stock swap can solve the issue.

I bought a new deck, the Alpine CDE-141. It works flawlessly with my sub, but the back right door and the front left door woofers arent working. I took a little stereo speaker and put it on the connection just to see if it would work, and nothing. So does that mean even if i did buy two new sets of speakers they wouldnt work? This doesnt make sense to me.

I bought a new deck, the Alpine CDE-141. It works flawlessly with my sub, but the back right door and the front left door woofers arent working. I took a little stereo speaker and put it on the connection just to see if it would work, and nothing. So does that mean even if i did buy two new sets of speakers they wouldnt work? This doesnt make sense to me.
Somthing's up with your wiring then, you may need to run new speaker wire if your stock harness wires have a break somewhere... If your connections at the HU are good, and you get nothing at the other end - run new wire

Alright. I can look at stuff and see. I am new to it. So im not sure how to do all that. Looks like i will be learning! Any help on how to do this would be very helpful!

get a cheap DMM (harbor freight and autozone have em for like $15-$20) and check the speaker wires at the HU to the speaker locations for continuity one by one... Each individual positive to positive / neg to neg should have continuity... I'm guessing you don't or else it would be working, if you DO have con't. but no sound then check the resistance with the DMM as well... check first on a speaker that IS working and compare the results, ideally they would be close... Odds are you are just going to want to run new speaker wire to each speaker... Speaker wire isn't that expensive, it just takes the time of doing it all and getting it done //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I ripped apart both rear doors this morning, and took the speakers out, the new headunit blew the cone right off the speaker that worked. I took out the speaker that worked. hooked it up to the one that didnt work. And well, got some music! So it was the speaker! You would think if its blown, it would still work? I am not sure what happened to it. But I will be buying new speakers though! Any recommendations for 5 1/4" speakers?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.