Speaker set up for classic car Stag.

Participant count
  • Participants list

StreakyBacon

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi – looking for some setup advice. I have a 1974 Triumph Stag and want good clarity, balanced sound while being discreet. I’ve lived with my first effort long enough and it’s wrong:
[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]
Two tweeters behind swivel air vents either side of the dash
Two 4” in the centre of the dash pointing up (this was original place for a single speaker)
Two 6” mounted under the dash pointing down into each footwell
Active sub in the soft top storage area
Speakers powered by Alpine head unit with good power (I’ll find out the spec and post later)
[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]
I was advised this would be a good result, and I was utilising some Bose speakers from an Audi A8 so was cheap too. However it sounds either too high frequency (even with the sub on full) or if I put more into the 6”, it’s too low. I rebuilt the whole car a few years ago and this in now the only thing letting it down, please help!
[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]
I’m thinking bin the current speakers, and maybe have a different combination, but would an amp be better? The head unit does seem to have enough to drive them so I thought the issue was more position/type of speaker.
[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]
Cheers
20190417_120914.jpg

20181006_181032.jpg

20181006_181055.jpg

20181006_181219.jpg

Hi – looking for some setup advice. I have a 1974 Triumph Stag and want good clarity, balanced sound while being discreet. I’ve lived with my first effort long enough and it’s wrong:
[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]
Two tweeters behind swivel air vents either side of the dash
Two 4” in the centre of the dash pointing up (this was original place for a single speaker)
Two 6” mounted under the dash pointing down into each footwell
Active sub in the soft top storage area
Speakers powered by Alpine head unit with good power (I’ll find out the spec and post later)
[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]
I was advised this would be a good result, and I was utilising some Bose speakers from an Audi A8 so was cheap too. However it sounds either too high frequency (even with the sub on full) or if I put more into the 6”, it’s too low. I rebuilt the whole car a few years ago and this in now the only thing letting it down, please help!
[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]
I’m thinking bin the current speakers, and maybe have a different combination, but would an amp be better? The head unit does seem to have enough to drive them so I thought the issue was more position/type of speaker.
[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]
Cheers
View attachment 4992

View attachment 4993

View attachment 4994

View attachment 4995
Sweet looking interior. I've never seen one in person.

for all this to work you need an 8 channel dsp to control midbass (6s) midrange (4s) tweeters and sub. You'll need a 6 channel amp or two 4 channel amps plus a monoblock or a 4 channel and a 2 channel plus a monoblock. You can also do  a 5 channel plus a 2 channel if you dont need that much bass. 

You will get absolutely nowhere with head unit power so throw that idea straight out the window plus the head unit cant handle the ohm loads properly too, sooner or later you'll fry the head unit trying to force it to power all those speakers. Not to mention your distortion level is going to be ungodly high before you get into any real volume and that car is rather noisy i'd imagine you'd need to achieve at least a respectable amount of clean volume for any real listening.

Thanks. So the 6 speaker setup and position is a good bet? I wasn't sure if i needed more or to simplify. As for the amps, that does make sense. I was originally talked into just using that head unit and told to add a resistor to the tweeters, but I've never liked it. After 3 years the cable going to the 4s has become brittle too on one terminal and dropped off so forced me to take action. 

And you're bang on with the cabin noise. At 70mph the music needs to be loud!

Oh and steering wheel is on the proper side ;)

Thanks. So the 6 speaker setup and position is a good bet? I wasn't sure if i needed more or to simplify. As for the amps, that does make sense. I was originally talked into just using that head unit and told to add a resistor to the tweeters, but I've never liked it. After 3 years the cable going to the 4s has become brittle too on one terminal and dropped off so forced me to take action. 

And you're bang on with the cabin noise. At 70mph the music needs to be loud!

Oh and steering wheel is on the proper side ;)
a 36 square foot of deadener and some mass loaded vinyl layered on top on the doors, floors and roof will help with the cabin noise a lot.

Right now i'd do the amps plus subwoofer, plus this https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dsp-408-4x8-dsp-digital-signal-processor-for-home-and-car-audio--230-500 to control and blend everything properly together.

Allows you to control and blend all speakers and get a good tune. Your current speakers will amaze you when put on proper power and tune. You can think about replacing them afterwards once you see their true potential.

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE. I went into an audio place and was advised to keep the speaker locations, except for the 4" in the centre of the dash. These should just be removed. Tweeters and 6" replaced by some "Hertz" ones, fed by a 2 channel amp with crossover. Ideally have that amp also power a passive sub and get rid of the one I have.

They advised a Hertz amp, but I have some old stuff from the 90s in my garage and wonder if that would do? (Kenwood 2 ch amp KAC-723 200w I think).

Any thoughts anyone? Would a processor fit into this set-up? Is 4 speakers enough?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.