speaker reverse polarity

Participant count
  • Participant list

nimrod
10+ year member

whats up, I just finished installing a new system in my truck. Pioneer HU DEH-710 BT, Pioneer amp PRS-D4200F, and four pioneer speakers, TS 602 2 ways. anyway, I did not pay attention to the polarity layout on the back of the amp and I hooked up two speakers backwards. On the back of the amp the diagram showed + -, - + , + - , - + . I hooked it up + - , + - , + - , + - . Which meant two speakers were reverse polarity. I road around for about two weeks with the speakers wired this way (at this point I still did not realize my mistake) and I never really thought the system sounded the way I thought it should. Then one day I was looking at the wiring diagram in the manual for the amp and that is when I realized my mistake. Well, tonight I corrected the polarity on the speakers and the system really sounds good. Now, my question is , would reverse polarity really make that big of a difference ? I really do think that the system sounds much better now, but I don't know if it is just my imagination. Thanks for reading.

It's very possible that you were experiencing concallation issues which can cause the sound and frequencies effected to sound defeated and imageless. I expect you did fix an issue, even minor.

Yes.

You basically had half your speakers compressing air while the others were decompressing.

The effect of reverse polarity seems to be more noticeable with lower notes. (bass)

i know something about a delay sound in effect of reverse polarity... and you lose a huge hit from bass notes...(if you got and amp.. or...sounds like something is wrong lol)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.