Speaker pop

Participant count
  • Participant list

Shilo
10+ year member

Hello I am new to this forum and am hoping someone can shed some light on my problem. I have been installing systems for many years and for some reason I cannot figure out what is going on here. I have a kvt-515 HU, a 750w 8405 Kenwood amp, 4 - 6 1/2 Polk Audio DXI 650's, and two 10" MTX subs in a thunderform box from Crutchfield. I was expecting that when I put the new speakers in the doors I would be able to turn it up with ease but instead when I do turn it up I get Popping and crackling from the speakers, all four. If I go loud enough the speakers on one channel will get considerably louder than the other channel and will stay like this until I turn it all the way down then it will go back. I am only getting a little over half on the volume before it does this. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be going on here. The amp I purchased new off of ebay so maybe that's my problem? I had this amp with the old speakers in the doors and they did the same thing this is why I changed the speakers thinking they were my problem. I have checked and rechecked my wiring all the way through with no prevail. Can anyone help?

make sure they are all wired right and your rca's are in properly. If not it is probably your headunit... is that a touch screen kenwood or a lower end single din.

The HU is a Kenwood KVT-516, I never had the problem before installing the amp. I have checked and rechecked my wiring from front to back, I found that my rca from my sub was pinched pretty badly, not sure if this running into the HU could cause a problem or not? I just ordered new Monster rca cables in hopes of this fixing my problem. I made the mistake of using rca's that were 12' in length in a pickup that only needs 6' to hit the amp. Could this be part of my problem?

I went to play around with the fader controls a bit. When I go to the front left and right the speakers sound equal. When I switch to the rear the passenger side sounds the same as the front but when I go to the drivers side in the rear the speaker is only a fraction as loud as the others and the quality is very poor sounding. Any ideas why this would be?

I did go through the entire setup double checking making sure polarity was right all around but I will check it again.. Never had the problem until I put the amp in.

maybe there is something wrong with your amps channels if not it may be your rca. When rca's get messed up they tend to make your speakers/subs make popping sounds from time to time.

Switch the Rcas around , and play with them and see if you have the same situation with a different channel,could narrow it down just a bit?Just a suggestion:D

Thanks for all the help. I ordered good quality rca's, shorter in length. Will try it see if that works. My ground for the amp running my four doors speakers is under the passenger seat, the ground is 6 inches from the amp. I cleaned up a spot on the floor board. Is this a good enough area for the ground?

If that is where you are going to mount that amp,I recommend taking out a seat bolt, and utilizing that for a solid ground.I would also try to get that amp up off the floor/raised to retrieve air circulation under the amp.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

So I think I made a little progress but still not sure where to go next. When I put my system together I bought the wiring harness for the deck so that I could utilize my already there speaker wires. Just out of curiosity I took one of my old speakers and connected it to the rear channel of the amp where it seems I am having the trouble. Wouldn't you know it the speaker sounded great. So why are these connections with the wiring harness giving me trouble? I am of course now going to run separate thicker speaker wires from each speaker but why would I be having this trouble with the harness? Anyone got any ideas?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.