Speaker placement.....

Participant count
  • Participant list

joetama
5,000+ posts

The British Ear
Placement of your speakers can be something that can make a good system really good or make a good system just ok. In doing some reading on the quarterly issue of Hi-Fi Choice I read a review where the speaker manufacturer recommended that you place the speaker so they are just off square, this is done to keep channel separation and imaging true. I have heard this before and have experimented many times to get the, what I consider, correct placement of my main channels. Over all there wasn’t that much difference between square or arched in.

However, they also recommended that you pointed the top of the cabinet slightly towards the ground so the tweeter is still at ear level just not pointed directly at your ear. After playing with this setup idea all day I have come to a surprising conclusion, by pointing my speakers slightly forward it increased clarity considerably. My 703’s were already very bright and crisp with incredible clarity and intelligibility, but this is totally blowing my mind. It is maybe only a few degrees forward but the difference is very audible.

Just thought this was something interesting you guys out there can play with.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/needpics.gif.edd6d28e76618c28c46f343991bcced5.gif so I know I read it right //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Gonna try to get all my **** hooked up this weekend //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/woot.gif.aaa6090e619a97b6090d16dd863c5a69.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

LOL.... I'll see what I can do about getting picture but it's nothing very visually dramatic so it'll be hard to point out what I did.... But I'll try anyway....

Unfortunately in my apartment I'm limited to where I can place the Forte II's, but I've noticed that having them toed-in a substantial amount is far more pleasing than sitting directly on-axis in the nearfield of HLCDs at full volume //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Posters on the Klipsch forum tend to back that up, agreeing that listening to them slightly off-axis is far better and removes a lot of the "squawkiness" they're sometimes known for.

Depends on the speaker though - Fostex drivers can sound like an angry duck if you point them away from your ears //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Ok so here is what I'm talking about....

Setup picture of Left Side.

Picture of floor spike that is unscrewed a little to cause the tilt.

Picture of "Square" with wall... See how the speaker line is not parallel with the wall line....

Picture from the floor to show tilt... Sorry about the miss under the speaker don't clean under there much...

That little one in the pic runs the surrounds that big yellow blur is the one on the mains.... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.