Speaker Mounting

Participant count
  • Participant list

beckSHO
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Michigan
With my brother's car, a 1993 Bonneville SSEi, there is no place to mount the mid/woofer on the door frame inside the doors. So, when I installed his speakers(Rainbow SLC 265's) I made a mounting plate out of some wood and attached that to the door frame. The downside to this; I wasn't sealing the front off from the back of the mid/woofer. Basically the speaker is mounted free-air, which obviously won't give optimal performace. Because of the door design, I can't seal the front off from the back of the mid/woofer when doing it this way.

I could take the speakers out, and surface mount them to the front of the door panels. Now, I know that when mounting a speaker, you want to mount it to a rigid surface. Would the plastic of the door panel be rigid enough? Theoretically, should this help the performance of his Rainbows?

Please help me out! Thanks in advance.

Beck

Thats how alot of people do it. That is how I did it. You can read the proper door deandening sticky and it shows how to get rid of those huge holes in the door panel

Thats how alot of people do it. That is how I did it. You can read the proper door deandening sticky and it shows how to get rid of those huge holes in the door panel
Well, I have read that thread several times. The thing is with my bro's doors, is that they doesn't really have any "framework" to attach some thin sheetmetal or aluminum to. Otherwise I would have done that. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

I think I'm just going to have to ghetto-rig them into the doorpanels for now. When it gets warmer out again, I will make some fiberglass doorpods for it. I could use some more practice with that before I do some fiberglassing on my car..... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif Thanks for the help bro.

Beck

It should be alright mounting the mids/woofers to the door panels, right? I could do some fiberglass reinforcing to make it more rigid, if needed.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.