Speaker jack terminal cup vs bolt with washers?

cchheett
10+ year member

Oregon
Someday I will build another sub woofer box, but I have a question for anyone that could answer a question for me. I usually just use the normal circle type speaker jack terminals, but i have heard people using a round ring terminal on there speaker wire, and just using a bolt through there sub woofer box. With washers and a nut. I have never used them like that, but to me that looks like it would be a really good connection. Anyone know if one is better then the other. Thanks for your time.

Those terminals tend to leak air. I drill a tight hole and run the wire into the box and caulk around the inside and outside. Makes a good seal and the wire goes straight from the amp to the sub.

Cup terminals leak air, a properly installed bolt will not. I prefer the latter with a set of set screw lugs so I can remove the wires if need be.

Anyone know if they sell some online? Or does it not matter what bolts you use? I have just heard that people have used it, so i have never really seen them.Thanks again.

I usually go for regular stainless steel bolts from the hardware store. If you want a little bit better conductivity you could try and find some brass bolts but I've never had an issue with stainless steel.

some of the decision also boils down to what kind of subs and power you are running. On the average system terminal cups do just fine. But if you get around 1k rms things can get a little hot with the terminal cups plus some air leakage. The bigger of the problems I've seen is from the heat just melting down terminal cups cuz of the plastic. I would suggest either stainless bolts (especially in oregon) or the link that rc10mike posted.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.