Power Distribution to multiple amps

Participant count
  • Participant list

FML
10+ year member

Extreme Lowwwwwws
Idaho
Specs Are in signature. I have a couple of questions on how to go about wiring power runs for multiple amps.

Currently I have a single 4 gauge run coming off the battery into a 1 farad capacitor (I know I know, got it for free , i normally dont use em) then two 4 gauge runs coming out, one going into my T1000 bass amp, and the other to my 450/4 mid tweeter amp. Obviously im drawing wayyyy to much power for the current setup.

Im switching things up. Is running a single 0 gauge wire into a distro block with 0 gauge goin back out to the bass amp amd 4 gauge going to mids amp sufficient?

My other idea was to run SEPARATE runs off the battery, 4 gauge to one amp, 0 to the other and bypass using a distribution block?

Also, I have a question on a more technical level for current draw. Ever since adding my 4 channel amp, my main woofer (15") doesn't get it nearly good as it used to. Obviously not getting the power it needs. BUT, where is the fault? Are my amps drawing every ounce of power still, and just killing the rest of my electrical system, therefore making amy upgrade other than alternator/battery pointless? Or will doing the aforementioned wiring upgrades help it enough to notice a difference?

I make decent money, a HO alternator is definitely on my mind for the future, but for now Im trying to just save some cash and address some more simpler tasks to optimize my audio. Thanks y'all!

i would do a big 1/0 like knu from battery back to a distro block.

the 1/0 to sub amp and 4ga to other amp.

do the big 3 with all 1/0 wire.

do that and see what your voltage is at full tilt. if its getting low then your going to need a high out put alt.

what size alt do you have now ? how many amps.
Ya know man, i couldn't tell you. I know that sounds bad being the audiophile that I am. Iv tried looking for a brand on it, and searching the web. But its a 99 gmc extended cab truck, im guessing probably around 100-120 amp.

I do have a volt meter dash mounted, im getting voltage dips as low as 10.9 to 11 volts at full tilt. And like I said my 15 doesn't slam like it used to since i put in my 4 channel. Im hoping some wiring mods will put everything where it should be again without going new alternator yet.

wow if your getting that low... thats not good.

ya do that 1/0 run, do the big 3 and i would order a good h/o alt.

as just adding the wire is not going to bring it up that much.

wow if your getting that low... thats not good.
ya do that 1/0 run, do the big 3 and i would order a good h/o alt.

as just adding the wire is not going to bring it up that much.

So a guy at a local audio shop said he recommends the separate runs to each amp to optimize power output. Obviously id like a second opinion. I already have the full length run of 4gauge so it wouldn't be any more for me.to run separate wire to each amp.

To me, i figured having 1 wire running into a distribution block would transfer the same amount of power as 2 separate runs, no?

Also, if i were to do a big 3 upgrade, its ok just to ADD the extra wiring instead of outright REPLACING existing factory wire?

i just looked up both amps. and your running about 1500rms total ?

you should not be getting that low on voltage.

check your grounds.

and your sub amp take a 1/0 wire do do the 1/0 run.

what type of battery to you have?

dont run 2 runs of 4ga. whats the point.yes just add it . dont pull your stock grounds .

also make sure you ground you are using for your amps are good.

No i said one 0 gauge run from battery to bass amp, then the separate 4gauge for mids amp?

Dude said that'll move more current than one 0 gauge run and then split into two runs at a block. Whaddaya think?

No i said one 0 gauge run from battery to bass amp, then the separate 4gauge for mids amp?
Dude said that'll move more current than one 0 gauge run and then split into two runs at a block. Whaddaya think?
sure you could do that if you want.

but 1 run of 1/0 will be plenty . your only pushing 1300 to 1500rms total.

if you do that just make sure you fuse both runs.

i did that when i starting . i have a run of 4ga and added some knu 1/0 wire. and i kept it like that.

but i started adding more stuff, more amps so i now have 3 runs of 1/0 power and 3 runs of 1/0 ground.

but a also have 7 amg batterys in the back. so makes it a little easier .

so if i was you.... i would just run a 1/0 to your sub amp, and keep the 4ga going to your other amp.. why not.

now if you did not have any wire ran and you were going to do that i would say no, just run the bigger wire.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.